inking - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: inking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

inking

hello i was wondering if anyone could tell me the correct water to ink ratio... normally if i dont add water the original colour gets darker and streaky (if applying black ink to blue) or if i put too much water nothing really happens... so what would the corretc ratio be if i wanted my original colour to stay as it is but the engraved areas to be black.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, it's not just water you have to add, you need something to break teh surface tension and drag teh ink away from teh high surfaces, you could use future floor finnish(or whatever it's called), acrylic flow enhancer or washing up liquid. just add a tiny amount (about 1 part of this to 10 parts ink/water) and make sure teh ink is very runny, so you can see through it and read newsprint through it... it's a good idea to keep a spare newspaper around!
    if you are reading this signature, then you are wasting you're time, and i am wasting my time by writing it, so run along now, jimmy, run along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

cool thanks tomato

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -35 (x0)

I dont dilute the ink in water i just use it how it came. And I ink everything no exceptions and if done right it makes everything look like its been done by a pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

There is definitely no "right" answer here. You need to experiment with different amounts. The less dillution you have the darker things will be. In some cases it might be appropriate to have a dark ink. Sometimes you will want to only slightly tint the area. (skin comes to mind in a situation like this). Sometimes you can build up some really interesting subtle effects by using several layers of heavily watered down inks.

So bottom line - experiment until you find what you like for what you are doing. As for using something other than water - you don't necessarily need to use something else. However if you use future, drop of dish detergent, etc. it will cut surface tension and help pull the ink into the recesses of the figure better.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread