Found Materials - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found Materials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aiight, I'm a huge fan of found/scrap materials because it's free and I'm sure we've all got a lot of broken stuff somewhere.

So I've decided to make a list of stuff that can be used for scenery.

*Golf Balls: They can be used for the tops of small power generators when cut in half.
    *Capacitors: Can be used for power generators, and other miscellaneous stuff. PLEASE Make sure the capacitor is dead, get a foot long piece of copper wire, make sure it has an insulator on it, and cut it in 1/2, strip 1" of the wire, on all ends, solder or twist on a 1M Ohm resistor to it (these can be picked up at a local electronics store) and touch the ends of the copper wire to the capacitor ends (Either Top and Bottom, or Bottom Only).
    *Motors: Small DC motors can be used for nice touches, like a rotating radio dish.
    *Coke Bottles: Can be used for crashed escape pods.
    *Old Injet Cartridges: The thin, color kinds, can be painted in camo and used as ammo containers for a military base.
    *AOL Cd's: These can be used in a variety of ways, you can cut them into rectangles and use them as solar panels, perhaps on a crashed satellite, or on a industrial age planet, or if you can get one, try freezing it, and while still cold, hitting it with a hammer until it shatters, using the shards to make "circles of power" that could be used on a psychic hunting mission, or on a world being cleansed.
    *Jack and Jill Ice Cream Cups: The plastic kinds, with the little ribs on the bottom, when turned upside down, and the top cut out make perfect bases for power generators.
    *RCA Jacks: The Audio Video Jacks on a VCR, or TV can be used as Nuclear Rod Holders.
    *Wire Casing: The ribbed kind, can be found in most junk appliances like old washers or dryers, or refrigerators, can be used to make electrical piping.
    *PVC: Can be used for entirely too many purposes to list, but I'll do some, Oil pipelines, water pipelines, toxic waste pumps, 2" PVC can be used for water towers.
    *Copper Clads: If you're a really really good artist, you can make designs on a copper clad with a perminant marker, and dip it in ferric chloride, and the only thing that will be left is the copper where you drew (Copper clads are the things used to make motherboards and other circuit boards)
    *Microfans: If you've got a spare power supply for a dead computer, strip it open. Stay very clear of the main capacitor, it'll be the biggest one and can land you in the hospital if it's still charged, but if it's got a small fan, you can use this for things like old ruins, etc.
    *Ferrite Bars, Cores, and Beads: Can be found at most electronics stores, and in a lot of heavy machinery, They mostly appear to be matte black. Bars look like circular pieces of heavy steel and can withstand a lot of punishment, Cores come in torroids and bricks, and beads are cylinders. They can be used for many many things, especially as re-enforcement on weak structures.
    *Fuses: Can be painted or unpainted, and used as frills on a building, like power distributors.
    *Crystal Oscellators: The are found in most phones, they look like mini fuse boxes, and that's what they'd be used for in modeling.

Okay, I'm done, well one last thing.

If you can't find any of the electronic stuff I've listed, or you want a whole lot of electronics, try going to Electronics Goldmine on the web and ordering one of their Super Size Electronic Surprise Boxes, these things are FULL of stuff, I mean I got a large, and a small for my electronics hobbying, but the large contains a lot more stuff and some bigger stuff, about 2000+ part, for only $6 plus shipping.

Anyway, here's a link EGM Surprise Box

Feel free to add your own list for things you've made out of found materials.

Or add a use for something that's already been listed.

You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used an old toilet roll centre (cut down by about 1") with a piece of Cardboard glued on each end to represent a small water tower in my wrecked imperial base and another (With about 1 1/2" cut off) to represent a boiler.

They were undercoated and then drybrushed.

What do ya think?
    Join TSI, purge for the Emperor, the truth shall set you free.

View the rules <a href='http://portal.librarium-online.com/content/view/137/28/' target='_blank'>here</a>

Lifes a beach, until someone kicks sand in your face.

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=10867&st=0' target='_blank'>My Stories&#33;</a>

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showforum=125' target='_blank'>Cityfight.</a>

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first of all....

Good list there, an excellent ideas too.

Lone wolf please keep on subject, the subject was not how your scenery looks, rather ideas of what you can make scenery out of.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can use the stranges things ya know, i am using little milkbottles for tanktraps and maybe ill post a pic of it one day. im also going to use red wash-rope for plasma fencing. it looks like it glows

--for the greater good--

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds cool with the red plasma there.

If you ever have access to some old filters of some sort, preferably the metal mesh ones these will make great extras for your battlefield.
    The shape of them can easily be used for jetengines, or some sort of equipment for a chemical plant or something.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use anything and everything I can find for scenery...its all just gubbinz to an Ork...WAAAGH&#33;
    Nostrafus, Nice list by the way.
    &quot;Da Orks is da best cuz we ar ded ard an killy, mean, green, krumpin machines, hav da most dakka, da stompiest dreads, da shootiest gunz, da biggest bosses, an we uze choppas...WAAAGH&#33;&quot;
    Warlord Hakbash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I used an old electric fly trap to make a power generator in my ruined power plant for city fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With styrofoam you could also make great things.
    (watch out with painting it though, with the wrong paint your object could melt away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know how that feels with the paint melting your project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a garage out back like any self respecting redneck should lol. so i have all kinds of old car parts and junk that make great scenery.

old tin cans make awesome ammo dump barrels.
    old action figures with sci-fi looking features are great when you take em apart, i built a command building out of the parts from one.
    spare gun bits are great for making a weapons rack for your imp guard or any army.
    mesh air filter covers are great for vent and duct work on our command buildings.
    well thats about all i got =)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast