Cutting off a head from a metal fig - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting off a head from a metal fig

Problem: From Lord Cortez from DH I have been using the model for sometime but changing my fluff and he needs to change as well. Mostly I need to change his head and I am not good enough with greenstuff on small spaces like faces to make bionics/ gas mask. But I need to do this with out ruining the body in anyway.

Idea: Going to grind down his head and his fluffly part of his cap to put on a Mech Priest head.

Anyone have any idea for hte convertion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a dremel or a jeweler's saw you might be able to cut the head out without destroying it. His scowly face might come in handy for a future conversion :p

OTOH his head is pretty squat in there, so I'm not sure how hard it would be without hurting the body.
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it it possible to melt it away with a solder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure, I've never used one. But if it is, make sure the figure is hanging upside down so metal doesn't melt all over it. By the way, I had a chance to look at the insane catalog from GW... unbe-freakin-lievable. I wish I could justify spending $25 on a catalog. If only it included coupons or something.

Bu the reason I brought it up is that in the inquisition section there's an article (well, a sidebar) on removing a head from a battle sister in order to replace a head. I thought it might be a good thing for you to take a look at.

I don't have a page number, but the Inquisition section is only 30 pages or so, so it shouldn't take long to find. Look for a page that shows a battle sister fig you've never seen before, because she has an amazon head. ^_^
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i removed a head from a biker chaplain, and replaced it with the helmet from the book that came with the model. It took me ages to remove the head with a scalpel/craft knife, as i had to use a sawing motion and brute strenth from different angles to get it off.

I did manage to do it eventually, and was able to use the head on another biker.

Persistence and a sharp knife is required to get metal heads off, but if you aren't bothered about keeping it dremel/grind it out as it's a lot less hassle and far quicker.

Do not solder it or use a heat source as the entire model is likely to melt and you don't want that!!! Has a a friend do it with a crisi suit, and lost the joint and the foot itself. It happened after some time, but it went from looking solid, to the foot resembling the t-1000 in the foundry in no seconds flat!!!
    Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

i have done it with a very big pair of pliers, then filing down the neck...i think a saw of some sort would be the best bet though
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well only advice i can give you is.....

First drill the top of the head using a pin vice to start with just to get a pilot hole then using a rotary tool "Dremal" drill in to the top of the head with various sizes of drill until you've almost drilled away the whole head then using a knife cut around the hole you drilled to remove the flash attach the head you want jobs done!

I used that technique to remove captain Shrikes head & it works every time.

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is a jewer saw? i try googling it but all it came up with is industrial saws

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverRider
    what is a jewer saw? i try googling it but all it came up with is industrial saws
    This is a Jeweler's Saw: http://www.minishop.com/motts/showde...=10699&CATID=9

There's a good general "kit-bashing" (converting) tutorial here (is about space ship minis, but fundamentals are fundamentals!) : http://ravensbranch.allen.com/howtokitbash.html

^_^

+ Reply to Thread