Sons of Odin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sons of Odin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Sons of Odin

Just completed: a highly converted and themed Space Wolves army.

http://www.bluetablepainting.com/vie...?galleryID=423

Sons of Odin Notes
    This army is strongly themed on Norse mythology, particularly Odin and his related myths. You will find the twin ravens and wolves represented. Runes are based on the Norse FUTHARK alphabet, with some variation for style. Odin is an aged man who put out one eye to acquire wisdom. For the chapter badge I created a simple celtic knot that represents the two eyes of Odin. In early versions, I put a white dot in one of the knot openings, representing the "good" eye, but this did not look good from a distance.

The Odin symbol is based on a mosaic I found.

The Runepriest’s banner is blank in the pics—I have since done freehand on it.

You will also find Odin's name spelled "Woden" on the chapter banner. This is one old version of the name and is the basis of "Wednesday", which means "Woden's Day".

Experienced pack members have personal runes next to their squad markings-- but novices (Blood Claws) have only their squad rune, and no distinguishing marks. For Terminators, I expanded on the celtic knotwork a bit since they had more room on their shoulderpads.

I am very proud of this army. It is a masterpiece army-- strongly themed with background and imagery; heavy conversions and character. This is a one of a kind.

Shawn G.

PS- I'm sure some expert on Norse mythology is going to have a grand time correcting me on all my inconsistencies. I'd like to respond to that in advance: IT'S 40K!!! Give me a break!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Over all I am sure these guys look good on the gaming table. Pictures are WAY too small in most cases to really see any details. Also you have many of the pictures cropped in such a way as to cut off parts of the figures which I find really distracting when trying to take in the full paintjob on a figure.

It looks like there is a heavy reliance on inks - which usually there is nothing wrong with - however it looks to have pooled up on different areas of the figure and to me that stands out. Maybe going back over the pooled up areas with a light coat of lighter paint will help detract from this. Also I noticed a few areas where the flash lines are visible as well as some gun barrels that were not drilled out.

Good job though. If you take anything from this comment/critique I highly suggest looking at how you take your pictures. Maybe get some more lighting, take larger pictures, crop figures in such a way as to show them complete, and I would also invest in some color correction. The pictures are a tad dark and the color is off.

With larger pictures people would be able to more accurately comment on your army.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very cool army man dont worry about captain negative here

lots of nice conversions.. i like it .. maybe some more biger pictures tho ~
    fortune favors the brave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by herr telefone
    very cool army man dont worry about captain negative here

lots of nice conversions.. i like it .. maybe some more biger pictures tho ~
    Hmmm I am being "captain negative" how?!? Your comment was inappropriate and rude. As this was posted in a public forum on the topic of painting I felt like commenting and offering suggestions on what could possibly be done to improve the picture quality and the paintjob.

The way I look at it - is: You post your pictures here either because you want honest feedback and critiques. You are looking for a pat on the back, or you are trying to squeeze in some free advertising. All three should be deserving of an honest look and response.

If you liked his pictures you could have simply left it at that rather than flame other users.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread