Industrialized Eldar? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Industrialized Eldar?

I'm probably going to be starting 40k soon, and had an idea to make a more industrialized, dirty/gritty Eldar force - something of a happy medium between the extreme bulk of SM, but not as fancy and magical as the current anti-grav Eldar stuff.

I'm liking the walker concept of the War Walkers and the Wraithlords, but both look too lithe still, especially the legs. The falcon I use in my army is going to be converted from a Defiler and made into a walker tank, although I can't decide what to do with the Vyper.

Anyone have suggestions for:

1) Bulking up units / decreasing the smoothness
    2) Vyper appearance
    3) What bitz to use (Keep cost in mind, I can't order an entire sprue for one radio antenna)

This kind of concept is what I'm looking for:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Getting the last image in..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that lools actually more like Tau, with the straight guns, no curved corners.
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

The main problem is find is that industrialised Eldar disobeys one of the main tenants of Eldar fluff. The 'Space Elves' are supposed to have never have had an industrialised stage in their society, instead utilising Wraithbone and their Psychic prowess for most of their works.

C+P from the old article from Criticalhit (some of us had the sense to save them on our hard drives):

"Some Eldar can influence the structure of growing matter by a form of empathic telepathy. This empathic ability may have been particularly important during the early development of the Eldar race enabling them to promote the fruitfulness of edible crops and reshape the growth of trees to make simple shelters. During their primitive evolutionary stage the Eldar undoubtedly benefited greatly from these skills. The first Eldar villages and towns are supposed to have been living structures grown from trees, often covering many square miles and reaching high into the air. Structures like this can still be found on worlds colonised by the Eldar in later times. Because of their psychic abilities the Eldar race learned how to make and shape raw materials at a very early stage of cultural development. By means of their mental powers they were able to refine minerals and shape the resulting metals and stones into whatever they wanted. Eldar technology has a very ancient history and the pace of its progress is closely tied to the slow evolutionary development of the race.There was never a sharply defined industrial phase of Eldar history (as for example there was in human history) but rather a steady growth in competence and knowledge over a very long period of time. A particularly Eldar aspect of their technology is that its forms often adhere closely to natural biological shapes and structures. This is quite understandable, as there is no real difference between technology and nature in the Eldar mind - they amalgamate into a single process by which the Eldar imbue living things with function and functional things with life"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

The pics look more like Tau, IMO, as someone already said. :hmm:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I can see what you mean there Red120, but you are going a bit too much on the technology side, hence why the other way the look like tau.

Here's what I'd do. Can you sculpt? if so, you could take up those thin models and slightly bulk they up by adding a specific piece to the body, like a special shoulder guard, and gauntlet.

You can also shorten those helmets wich are way too long, and give them a military fashion.

Alternatively, you can use alternate models for your list. Like using striking scorpions or warp spyders as your catapult guardians, they look better than also broader.

Simple things like this couls help you acheive your goal, but going radical might not get what you want.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Well, I see it that the visual concept of an army is always absorbed first, while the fluff has to be explained.. one is immediate while the other is secondary. I want to get a visual concept that I'm pleased with; the fluff can always be adapted in some way.

I don't know enough 40k now for fluff anyways.. what about exodites? Arn't they planet-based eldar with retarded development or something? I suppose one planet could have advanced into the mechanical age - whatever, that can come later. Visuals first, my friends.

Yes, I realized soon after posting that the stuff I posted looks like Tau.. hahaha.. but mostly just the vehicles will be like this.. the other troops like the Scorpions and Rangers will still just be foot dudes.. the look should be fairly coherent, considering I am still using Eldar bitz, for the most part.

Wolf Pack: I probably can't sculpt enough to make the kind of things you're suggesting - I've mostly only done cloaks / capes, filled arm joints, etc for my fantasy army.. the basic stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by red120
    Well, I see it that the visual concept of an army is always absorbed first, while the fluff has to be explained.. one is immediate while the other is secondary. I want to get a visual concept that I'm pleased with; the fluff can always be adapted in some way.

I don't know enough 40k now for fluff anyways.. what about exodites? Arn't they planet-based eldar with retarded development or something? I suppose one planet could have advanced into the mechanical age - whatever, that can come later. Visuals first, my friends.

Yes, I realized soon after posting that the stuff I posted looks like Tau.. hahaha.. but mostly just the vehicles will be like this.. the other troops like the Scorpions and Rangers will still just be foot dudes.. the look should be fairly coherent, considering I am still using Eldar bitz, for the most part.

Wolf Pack: I probably can't sculpt enough to make the kind of things you're suggesting - I've mostly only done cloaks / capes, filled arm joints, etc for my fantasy army.. the basic stuff.
    Then it's time to learn how to ^_^

Never limit yourself to what you know you can achieve, always shoot for more.

A simple way to imrpove your skills is to buy some greenstuff can practice building shapes. Squares, circles triangles at first, then shoot for cubes, spheres an pyramids.

This doesn't take too much time to practice, you should look into it really

EDIT: Typo!
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cant beleive that noone has even mentioned the OMG awesomeness of those lego models and the amazing concept drawing!!!!

HOLY CRAP THERE GOOD

well done : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Haha.. I wish they're done by me; no, the Lego models and pics I just found online when I was looking for something to express my ideas to you guys. Should have been more clear

Yeah, I guess so.. I have nearly unlimited amounts of greenstuff since winning a bid for the wrong quantity on eBay.. but while it's easy to do some stuff like what I am working with, I found any non-organic work very difficult, as you have to get everything flat, angular, etc.

As well, I guess there arn't many tutorials for it online either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast