Even Coats Of Paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im trying to paint my battlesuit with citadel red gore, and it always ends up painting in patches. Is this the paints fault, or is it because of my inablility to paint well? And if it is due to my lack of skill, what should I do to make the paint more even?

Don't look now... But there's one man too many in this room and I think it's you.
    - Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some paints are thiker than others. If you are applying a Base coat, you might want to add 2 parts water, one part paint to your mixture. Citadel is one of the best paints out there, but adding water will thin the paint out more evenly over the figure.

It is better to have your paint too thin rather than too thick.
    If Wolves were meant to fly, wouldn’t the Emperor have given them wings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you are undercoating with white, Red's don't show up well on black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, thin your paints, and do several coats....that way it's alot less blotchy, but it does take a bit of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to thinning the paint and multi coating, try using different basecoats. I personally have found a strong yellow base gives the best and most vivid red you can get but is not always tops if you want a darker red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or equvalent store and buy a bottle of flow enhancer for acrylic paint. Add it to your paint and you will be amazed at the improvement in flow and lack of brush marks. I add flow enhancer and acrylic thinner to all my paints and they are MUCH smoother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WolfRaider, knows what he is talking about. Just put some flow enhancer in the pot and you no longer have to worry about thinnig your paints every time.

I on the other hand, would take that path, but I tend to like having control of how much I thin out my paints before it is put on the figure.

Just a matter of opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't thin my paints until I know ehat my project is. If you are getting streaky lines, then water it down to ink level, aplly a little bit on, and it wil spread to the edges of the panel. Don't use too much though!
    Henceforth no man shall set foot upon the world, and all around shall be set sentinals to ward away unwary spacecraft. We must accept that this place is lost to us forever, and is now the eternal habitation of abomination.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>another annoying thing i hate: 47,000 similies in one post. just thoght id throw that in there and see if anybody else hates it as much as i do.</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you are getting streaks and patches and it is something like a flat panel you are painting then use a bigger brush.

I actually had a conversation in a GW store the other day with a member of staff when I was buying brushes. I bought a Standard and a Detail brush and the staff member just in passing said something along the lines of "I only ever use a fine detail brush personally..."

Probably after ten minutes of painting his FD brush looks more like a drybrush than anything else, still being dedicated to the hobby doesn&#39;t mean that he had to be any good at painting did it?

Use the right tool for the right job, if it is a large area use a large brush and the paint will cover more evenly without little tickle marks and without you having to damage your brush by overloading it. Remember there are very very few reasons to use a FD brush for anything slightly more reasons for using a detail brush and for average everyday painting, shading and highlighting a Standard brush is, well standard....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@WolfRaider
    How many drops of flow enhancer would you recommend, putting in a 12ml pot?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast