Critique my Fire Warrior - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Critique my Fire Warrior

Ok, here's the test piece for my new colour scheme:

I'm looking for any and all suggestions to improve him. Any help at all will be appreciated!

Last edited by Broadside_Pilot; September 26th, 2005 at 04:20.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Well, he looks competantly painted and I do like the 'foliage and gravel' stuff on the base.

My concern would be that you have chosen a very dark colour scheme. This means that 'en masse' you will lose the ability to see detail on your figures and the care you spent on painting them will be wasted. There is no 'piping' or other defining details that would help you to see your figures.

I would suggest you look again at the colour schemes in the Tau Codex and try to work out why they succeed. They generally have a non-primary colour for the 'hard' areas; helmet, torso armour, thigh armour (tassets), and arm armour including the shield thingy. This is nicely balanced by a somewhat darker colour for the soft cloth underwear.

Neither colour is too bright or too dark. Both allow decent opportunitys for highlighting and shading. I really think you would benefit, and have much more pleasure if you could see details on your figures from three feet away. If you proceed with this scheme, they will look like black silhouettes - not very attractive.

Also, look at the way you do your highlighting. It seems you only use one colour to highlight the dark blue. Some people use a gradation of three or four gradations of colours to bring a base colour to a highlight.

I hope you don't regard this as excessively negative, but you did indicate you were mature enough to accept comments. I'd like to see what you end up with.

(by the way, there is a LOT of empty space on that photo - please edit any others in Photoshop - remember some of our members have 56k modems still, and images like that will take a while to download)

Last edited by Hard A**; September 26th, 2005 at 03:55.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Yeah, it DOES look quite dark. I really like the Regal Blue as a primary colour, so I'm going to keep that, but do you think a brighter secondary colour to replace the Red Gore would help? A bright green would probably work well, I think (Although, not being an experienced painter, others would probably have a better idea.) Also, should I use a brighter colour for the cloth?
    I'll fire up the GIMP and tool around with him to try and get some better ideas. But any suggestions to improve his colour scheme would be great!

As for the highlighting, I'm just learning how. Plus, I was going for a bit of a Tron-type effect, but the whole model could use a bit more highlighting anyways. The existing highlight is Enchanted Blue, so do you think that using a mixes of Regal and Enchanted will work, or should I try Regal and Skull White or something?

And I'll crop the existing photo, sorry about the space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

What color did you base-coat him in?

Being that dark it almost looks as if you hand-painted regal blue over a black basecoat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

That would be exactly what I did.
    I tried basing him with both Midnight and Storm Blue, but I liked the Regal Blue right over the Black the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadside_Pilot
    Yeah, it DOES look quite dark. I really like the Regal Blue as a primary colour, so I'm going to keep that, but do you think a brighter secondary colour to replace the Red Gore would help? A bright green would probably work well, I think (Although, not being an experienced painter, others would probably have a better idea.) Also, should I use a brighter colour for the cloth?
    A brighter secondary colour would have the effect of making him look less 'tactical' unless it is a non-primary, such as a light brown, grey, blue-grey etc. If you stick a big stripe of say, blood red across his arm-shield, then he is not gonna look like a soldier any more, unless you want him to look so alien that he eschews terrestial notions of camoflage and goes for the psychedelic approach instead. This may sound flippant, but have a look at the British WWII Desert Camouflage approach on this Matilda tank, which is rather like a variation on the current Tau codex scheme.

A page of Matilda Tank in Desert camouflage

You might also want to consider this quote, indicating that expressionist artists were employed to design camouflage schemes for both sides during WWI and WWII:
    The Expressionist painter Franz Marc was among the artists who worked to the same end on the German side and, as Roy Behrens points out in this flamboyantly peculiar Encyclopedia of Camouflage, ships painted in the disruptive ‘dazzle’ schemes developed by the British artist Norman Wilkinson were said to resemble ‘Cubist paintings on a colossal scale’.
    As an artist myself, that rather amuses and interests me. Anyway, my point is that anything goes, any scheme is justifiable. It also seems that the Tau are about to get some new 'splinter' type paintschemes in the brand new Tau Empire codex, which again amuses me as my own Tau Fire warriors have had them for years... anyway, heres a look at some 'dazzle' paint schemes:

A link to an illustrated definition of Dazzle paint schemes

and I will put two more in a follow on post as we are not allowed more than two images per post.

I'll fire up the GIMP and tool around with him to try and get some better ideas. But any suggestions to improve his colour scheme would be great!
    I'm not sure what GIMP is, but if it works...

As for the highlighting, I'm just learning how. Plus, I was going for a bit of a Tron-type effect, but the whole model could use a bit more highlighting anyways. The existing highlight is Enchanted Blue, so do you think that using a mixes of Regal and Enchanted will work, or should I try Regal and Skull White or something?
    It's usual to use white as a 'lightener' to create progressively lighter shades. However, this can result in a rather anti-septic look to me, so I would suggest you use something like Bleached Bone to give the highlights a little more 'colour'. Also, there are plenty of tutorials on highlighting in the various Codexes and also White Dwarfs and other painting guides, do investigate them.

Also, look at getting a Stay-Wet palette to help with your painting, they are a remarkable aid in making up a gradation of shades and having it stay 'workable' for hours or days. This is usually the biggest problem for amature painters, any custom colour they mix up will dry on the plate before they have painted more than a couple of minis - a Stay-Wet allows one to paint for hours with the same paint mix. I have mentioned these on several occasions before, do a Advanced search.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

Just a couple more examples of the unusual Dazzle camouflage used on British and American ships in both World Wars:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Wow...exactly WHAT was the purpose of those camo schemes?

Anyway...if you're worried about the model being too dark, (this is pretty much the extent of my painting knowledge right here) you could try basing them in white. It would brighten up the blue a bit if I'm understanding this correctly
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess the schemes on the ships are made to confuse the eye, make it less visible in greater distances, or just make the enemy say something like: that cant be a warship, look at the way they painted it!

oh, i really like the model, not sure i could paint that good, but about what aun say, then i guess its good if you're just learning to highlight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Does the dark look always fail?

Matt Hutson's Tau army on the US GW page is extremely dark, and IMO, it looks very solid.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...au_army_2a.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast