Necron Paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Necron Paint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron Paint

Hello Everyone. I have a buddy who is starting necrons. He is looking to somehow get a metalic black. I have no idea how to do this so I came here. Any suggestions?

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe mix black into one of the metalics? Thats my only guess...

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried that. You either have a black if you don't mix enough or a boltgun metal.
    98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see how you can get metallic black?Black is not a metallic.Do you mean he wants the paint to be shiny???Otherwise i dont see how there could be metallic black.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I'm sure I've managed a metallic black look before (quite a while ago)
    off to look for it......

okay it's a very dark metallic grey rather than a black, but it was a lot of Mithril silver in with a bit of black, if you then give it a black wash it might darken the color enough to look like a metallic black instead, worth a try at least
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I'd advise straight Chaos Black and Gloss varnish on top of this. That combo gives the surface a polished metallic look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Well I heard a while ago the metallic effect of the paint is done by tiny, ground pieces of aluminium - you could try adding fine aluminium filings to the black. The other thing you could do is add about 10-15 parts water to every part of mithril silver and then add the resultant wash to black paint.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Vallejo makes a metallic medium (which is basically the metallic portion of the mix in all of the metallics). You could always mix up black with the metallic medium to get a black metallic. This should work differently than mixing it with an already existing metallic such as boltgun or silver. As I have not done this before I cannot verify the results. Just something I thought of to try.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently I was painting up an armoured figure from the English Civil Wars of the C17th where the armour breast plate needed to be black. In those days they painted their steel armour black because it reduced the rusting problem. I painted the breastplate Chaos Black followed by sparing highlights of a dark grey then, when dry, I gave it a light top coat of Citadel's Ardcoat gloss varnish. It worked well.
    Buddha

+ Reply to Thread