What exactly Is NMM? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

What exactly Is NMM?

I saw the previous thread and I semi understood it, I know its a painting technique of some kind but I'm quite curious as to how its accomplished.

The second part to this question is:

"What kind of painting techniques are out there besides NMM?"

I just use real time based colours as it would appear on the model.

"How do you learn these techniques?"

I did a google search on it but it only came up with pictures. I'm looking for step by
    step on NMM and what the process is. and also other techniques that are used as well.

-HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

NMM = Non-metallic metal.
    You basically paint metal without metal colors. For metal, diffrent shades and highlightning with grey and for gold you use brown and gold.
    I dont know about any guides, but its a very difficult techniq to master and it looks best on pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I think there is a few articles on coolminiornot on how to do basic NMM Aun Kur, so have a look there. When done well NMM looks great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

I'm so not following what you said. ChemCave dude do you have website for that?
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ AUN KOR
    I'm so not following what you said. ChemCave dude do you have website for that?
    Painting a Metal effect without using metallic paints, using shading and highlighting techniques to accomplish this. I don't know how much more clearer you can get.

And yes folks, I am back. For the first time since 3rd April, Brother Bob is back! And this time, it's personal...

John Reeves "Overcode" Hall, 1980-2005, http://overcode.yak.net/1

DONATE TO THE FIGHT AGAINST MELANOMA
    http://www.acsevents.org/faf/r.asp?t...99915-86454580

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Bob
    Painting a Metal effect without using metallic paints, using shading and highlighting techniques to accomplish this. I don't know how much more clearer you can get.

And yes folks, I am back. For the first time since 3rd April, Brother Bob is back! And this time, it's personal...
    Yeah NMM means non metallic metal as you have already been told.Im not the best to tell you bout it but correct me if im wrong this is my view on it.
    It ia a technique in which you use non metallic colours to create a metallic effect.You do this by showing an surce hitting the model and blend the colours according to where the light will be coming from.
    Now that wasnt explained very well,but im sorry its the best i can do because i dont use this technique that often and i cant describe it any better.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Sorry Aun Kur, I just assumed you knew of coolminiornot.

Have a look here for their articles
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article

Have a look around the main site for some inspiration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend looking at Joe Sloboda's editorial on NMM in White Dwarf 307 (I think it was that issue, and I think that was his name).

In a nutshell he argued against using NMM as a device because miniatures are 3D objects that exist in 3D space that are in continuous interaction with light sources, whereas NMM seeks to "fix" the illusion of a static lighting situation on a model permanently, as if it was a single frame painting. His argument was that metalic paints shaded with washes were superior for portraying metal.

I think he made some good points, and as a notfan of NMM I agreed with him (not saying NMM isn't nice, just that it's not my favorite).

Anyways, if you can grab a copy (I think it was orange-ish with a tyranid on the cover), I'd recommend mulling his points over (not that it should stop you from learning the technique, or any technique) before you accept the gospel of NMM as universal truth :tongue:
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by illovich
    I'd recommend looking at Joe Sloboda's editorial on NMM in White Dwarf 307 (I think it was that issue, and I think that was his name).

In a nutshell he argued against using NMM as a device because miniatures are 3D objects that exist in 3D space that are in continuous interaction with light sources, whereas NMM seeks to "fix" the illusion of a static lighting situation on a model permanently, as if it was a single frame painting. His argument was that metalic paints shaded with washes were superior for portraying metal.

I think he made some good points, and as a notfan of NMM I agreed with him (not saying NMM isn't nice, just that it's not my favorite).

Anyways, if you can grab a copy (I think it was orange-ish with a tyranid on the cover), I'd recommend mulling his points over (not that it should stop you from learning the technique, or any technique) before you accept the gospel of NMM as universal truth :tongue:
    Actually the "Opinion Article" you were referring to is in US WD309 October 2005 issue. The cover has LOTR mines of Moria figures on the cover. The original post was simply asking for information based on the other post in this thread debating over this very topic from this article.

What points were really made in the article? I found that he (the author) filled up space with a lot of different buzz words to essentially say that NMM captures a moment in time thus making it inaccurate if you don't have a "light" source angled correctly on the figure. He then goes on to admit that even when "using metallics" you must exaggerate the light source reflections anyway at this scale. He basically nullifies his whole argument. Keep in mind that exaggerated highlights in any style could very well not line up with a real world light source.

Now everyone is entitled to an opinion and has their own likes and dislikes so really there will never be a decisive resolution to this kind of argument. I find it funny that NMM discussion seems to garnish the same attitude that a lot of people throw to Games Workshop and their "price gouging" strategies to bleed their buyers dry.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for correcting which WD it was, I was coming back to correct, but I guess it's not necessary.

Sorry, I missed the other thread, which is now back at the top. I didn't realize he was coming directly from another thread, but I was simply offering him another point of view, since I see NMM talked up everywhere, and using metalic paint dismissed. I don't see pro-metalic articles that often, and I think it's worth clarifying that NMM is not the only philosophy for painting metals. I don't really support either one to a partisan degree, although I think NMM is a bit overvalued at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    ...(Sleboda) then goes on to admit that even when "using metallics" you must exaggerate the light source reflections anyway at this scale. He basically nullifies his whole argument. Keep in mind that exaggerated highlights in any style could very well not line up with a real world light source.
    I don't think it nullifies his argument. I think he was more saying something along the lines of "you need to highten contrast and shading in order to trick detail out of the model" but was saying that NMM--especially NMM that imitates specular reflections--takes it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    I find it funny that NMM discussion seems to garnish the same attitude that a lot of people throw to Games Workshop and their "price gouging" strategies to bleed their buyers dry.
    I don't really understand this, like what you're getting at. I think Joe's article was a good counter-NMM argument, and not based in the agenda of one company or the other. I think he offered a good philopsophical grounding and that was that. I didn't really pick up an attitude, except maybe where he called NMM "wrong." :tongue:

But I think he meant it's wrong in the sense that, when viewed from the wrong angle, NMM becomes technically wrong, in the sense that the reflections and highlights are in the wrong place.
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast