Ideas for uses of materials? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for uses of materials?

Hey guys. I have a lot of different materials, well not a lot, but a few, and I don't know what to use them for. For example, what could I use sponge for, like the sponge off blister packs or something? And How do you make cardboard tubes look completley smooth without the seams you know?

How do you use ordinary polystyrene? For me its impossible for it to look anyway natural.

And I have a lot of wire too, how could I encorporate that?

Oh and does anyone know where I can get that fine mesh wire from for model fences? I found a little bit and it kicks ass.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

well, only tip I can share with you is regarding styrofoam, thw white sort. If you use a lighter, and gently (I said gently, I don't want to see burnt fingers here) heat up the surface, it'll contract, and form smoother surfaces, very rocklike. Just don't overdo it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, the mesh is available from car parts stores for car body repairs. You can also get a plastic version from some model scenics suppliers, e.g. Greenscene (in the UK).
    Sponge is great for foliage - chop it up or pull it into small clumps. Dye it with any fabric dye. You might even get away with food dyes.
    Wire is very useful - twist strands together for tree trunks, use it for cabling in buildings, use it to pin pireces together to improve their surviveability when handled.
    Polystyrene is perhaps best used as a base for covering with filler. DO NOT HEAT IT unless you have a good mask and are outdoors - its fumes are poisonous.
    Cardboard tubes can be used for towers and pipelines. Cover with individual card rectangles for a silo or similar. Wrap in thin card or papare to remove seams. Cover any vertical or horizontal seam with walkways, ladders, wall joins, etc.
    While you are seemingly into modelling terrain/ buildings, get some bamboo skewers (ace palisade logs) and matchsticks (fence posts, chopped wood, planking, etc) too. Both are cheap and very useful.
    If you want to spend a bit more on materials, try the numerous textured model railway scenic sheets (everything from concrete effect to metal sheeting is available). You can also do wonders with the plastic girders, etc., marketed by such names as Plastruct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Been a great help.

+ Reply to Thread