Painting White - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting White

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting White

I have often seen many models painted by Games Workshop with a seemingly perfect white, for example:
    The Tau hammer head: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...au_army_1b.htm
    Whenever I paint white on to a model it comes out all terrible looking and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the white to look as good as Games Workshop does.

If your done first, you're the winner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Use multiple coats of white preferably a little thinner than what comes in the pot of Skull White.
    Don't use any layers of black under it. Grey is fine but white paint doesn't cover black properly.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Penguin
    I have often seen many models painted by Games Workshop with a seemingly perfect white, for example:
    The Tau hammer head: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...au_army_1b.htm
    Whenever I paint white on to a model it comes out all terrible looking and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the white to look as good as Games Workshop does.
    He may have got it that white by just spraying the tank with Skull White spray and they just painting the areas he needed to in camo.

"The most important thing was to get a good, clean white colour for most of the vehicle, which I did simply by undercoating the whole vehicle in white."

Yeah, so he just assembled it and sprayed it white.
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

White is tricky, the best way is simply undercoating it from the start.

Zveroboy, is there actually a Zlad!-fan club here at LO? Above us, there is nothing above, but the stars above. :w00t:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does using a spray work better than using a large brush?
    CBrate, about how many coats of white would I need? My friend asked someone who had a perfect white at a local tournament and they said 9, is this enough or too much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

So does using a spray work better than using a large brush?
    CBrate, about how many coats of white would I need? My friend asked someone who had a perfect white at a local tournament and they said 9, is this enough or too much?
    A spray will give a more even coat and is definately quicker, but whether you use one depends on your situation. For my Black Legion Marines, their armour is black so I undercoat them with Chaos Black spray then simply paint the trim, weapons, eyes etc.

If your Hammerheads/Devilfish are going to be mainly white (such as the one in the link in your first post) it will probably be best to undercoat it with Skull White spray first, then paint any camoflauge and markings on top. You might need to give it two coats with the spray to make it really white, but it's still quicker.

White is a horrible colour to paint, you'll probably need at least 4 coats. I painted a Black Legion symbol on top of one of my Rhinos with Sunburst Yellow, that took about 6 coats before it was actually yellow.
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually have a hammer head, that was just an example. It is just that whenever I paint white I always end up quite annoyed with the result. I have also been put of painting certain models becaus of the white, I once had some Tau Fire Warriors I wanted to paint in the white colour scheme but it didn't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I don't actually have a hammer head, that was just an example. It is just that whenever I paint white I always end up quite annoyed with the result. I have also been put of painting certain models becaus of the white, I once had some Tau Fire Warriors I wanted to paint in the white colour scheme but it didn't work.
    What is it exactly you are painting?
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Easiest way to get white =
    Spray models twice with white spray, then paint on any other colours needed.

Best way to get white =
    Gray basecoat and then building up with multiple layers of thinned white paint (anywhere between 3 to 9 layers depending on how much you thin the paints)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

If you're going to spray white, I'd recommend spraying the model black first.

It'll make it easier to see where you need to spray another coat of white (esspecially on a grey plastic model) and it seems that a black spray tends to grip the plastic better and leads to less chipping and such.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast