Problems with LEDs on models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Problems with LEDs on models

Has anyone tried using electronics (leds, lightbulbs, etc.) on models?

I thought about modelling a red LED onto my ranger's guns, but realized if it ever burnt out, I'd have a helluva time replacing it, with everything greenstuffed into place.

That, and I have no clue how to do the circuitry. Heh.

Anyone have experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

I'm converting a dreadnaught right now with LEDs and some fiber optics.

LEDs are typically rated for thousands of hours of use, so I wouldn't worry too much about them burning out. If it concerns you still, maybe greenstuff in some fiber and hide the LED in an accesible place like the base and have it shine onto one end of the fiber.

As far as the "circuitry", there isn't any really. I have yet to see an LED of a standard size and color not be able to take 1.5 volts or 3 volts. Reason I mention those two voltage levels is that's what most lithium batteries are rated at. You'll notice that some colors of LEDs work better on certain voltages, but that's going to depend on what colors and sizes of LEDs you end up going with.

LEDs are diodes which means that they're polarized- they have a negative end and a positive end. If you look, one of your LED's leads will be a little longer than the other- this is the positive end. Just hold it to the positive end of a battery and hold the negative lead to the negative side of the battery and your LED should light up. Simple as that. If you need them, attach some jumper wires or a battery holder to make the connections for you between the LED and the battery on your model.

BTW, if you hook up your LED backwards, you most likely won't blow it up- the voltage is too low, it just won't work. Switch the battery around and it should come on just fine.

Hope this helps. I've been messing around with this dread off and on for a couple of months now. If I ever get off my fat ass and finish it, I'll put some pics up.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

+ Reply to Thread