Power Generator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, since I've never made a moving piece of scenery I wanted to know something, do you think it's alright to have it move while you're playing

Because I was going to make a power generator out of a salvaged disk drive motor, and run a string of multicolor Blinking LED's to the ends, so when it spins it flashes all kinds of crazy colors, just wanted to know if that would be a problem.

I can get it balanced to where there's no rattling, or moving, sound however is a different problem, it'll probably make a loud hum, and the blinking insane lights might also be a problem, any opinions on wether this is a good idea or not.

You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it and noise isnt really too much of a problem i think. but you will have to get your oponnents permission first as they may not like it.

in my first battle we used a board that one of my friends had setup for his model trains. we decided to make it better we added a train and set it running. when a model crossed the train tracks and rolled a 1 for difficult terrain it was hit by the train. we left the models there and actually let the train hit them (do not try this, it led to big squad of 32 hormagaunts being destroyed)

just incase you were wondering what the train had to do with this post was it moved and made noises and had some lights on it.
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id just watch out you dont electricute yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, no need to worry about electrocution, a Disk drive motor runs off of 6.4v DC, and the LED's can run on a 9v battery with the right resistor in place.

In my spare time I'm also an electronics hobbiest, so I figured I'd condense some of my hobbies.
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see why a generator piece should be any problem to use, why should the opponent not allow it?
    It's like scenery it wont fight for you and kill his commander or anything.
    Of course you should keep in mind the standard rules for safety and not put some razorbladed rotary disk to spin wildly on the table..
    But generally the idea of a moving scenery part just makes the terrain more realistic.
    I'd say go with the idea, it sounds like it could be great!
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I just wanted to know if anyone had a friend who came up with a similar idea, but found the terrain a bit too distracting.
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is distracting, that is just a good sign...
    A sign that you scenery is so good that it takes the opponents thoughts away from the game and gets him to actually admire the terrain.

It coul make you win if he is distracted enough... :rolleyes:
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool idea with the LED's. im thinking of putting 4 LED's on my missile silo but im not sure what resistor i'd need. any help would be appretiated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off you need to find out the following

Color, yes it's important since some LED's use more power to put off a specific color, unless it's a colored lense, then don't worry about it.

Then you need to find out what kind of battery you're going to be using (The voltage, don't worry about the MA rating, that's just used to find out how long it's going to stay on, a standard 1.5v AA has 1100 MA)

Then you need to figure out what the MA drain is, it should be on the box, somewhere between 10-25MA drain for a smaller LED.

Then the formula is

(Vs-Vr)/I*1000

Where Vs is the Voltage Supplied (what kind of battery you're using, if it's a 9v, 9 is Vs.)

Where Vr is the Voltage Required On every LED box there is a number for the amount of voltage that is needed to power the LED, usually between 1 and 2 volts.

And I is the current in milliamps.

So say you're using a 9v battery, and the led needs the standard 1.2v to run, and your drain is 15MA

9-1.2=7.8
    7.8/15=.52
    .52x1000=520

So you'd need a 520 Ohm resistor. Or if you can not find the appropriate resistor, go for 550, or 600, or the next one up.

If it's a blue color LED (With a clear lense) then go about 50 Ohms up, so it would be 570

Aiight, that's all you have to know... lesson over.
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast