How many of you guys stick to the painting schemes GW use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you guys stick to the painting schemes GW use?

Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you guys here at Librarium Online actually stick to the painting schemes that GW use on the boxed sets for particular armies or regiments?

I occassionally go into the local GW store to talk about painting, i rarely ever go there to paint becuase there seems to be a general guideline there about adhering to painting schemes used by the armies.

I like to be versatile when it comes to painting my models, the only army that i have adhered to is the ulthwee colour scheme for the Eldar models but other than that i dont like to use generalist colour schemes.

I have begun to collect High Elves, starting off with one of the High Elf battallion boxed sets, and i was thinking of a white and red colour scheme (white coats, red robes and gold chainmail) and was thinking of some time collecting a tau army later into the future (probably sometime in the next 3 years) and painting them in the same kind of colour scheme, but when i talked to the staff about this i was met with a great deal of criticism with comments like "it might work" or "im not sure if that will work".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Being a Guard player I am blessed by the fact that there are no set colour scemes for any of the regiments... I paint my Death Korps grey rather than the usual dark brown colours that GW tend to use for the Korps.

However, I must say that if I was to start a preset GW Space Marine Chapter I would probably stay pretty close to the colour schemes they use.. But not identical... oh well.. who knows...

Don't even know what my point is... :tongue:
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i paint my blood angels (or something, there isnt that many painted minis anyway) red. but not BA red, cuz that looks like crap. i make them darker, cuz that looks realistic
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Generally, I like to run along the guidelines given by GW, but not religiously so.

My Eldar, whose paint job I am most pleased with, all maintain a theme of "yellow bodies, blue heads" but with many variations and patterns imposed.
    The Necrons are painted in the standard "weathered, ancient metal" look.
    My Blood Angels and Imperial Fists are painted according to the codex. I don't feel I can very well call a Blood Angel a Blood Angel if his armor isn't bright, bloody red, nor if he doesn't have the winged blood droplet device on his shoulder pad.

The only time I really deviated from GW is with the Ogres. Having no established tradition on how to paint them, I took that as liscence to paint their clothing and tattoos as I wanted.
    I still used the recommended skin tone, however, because I think it looks very nice.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Um...that's a good question. Where am i??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well let me put it this way, my blood angels have a grey colour scheme.

And not all of them are painted the same (some are blue red, gold etc.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

My Tau are going to use a blue-beige-black scheme. However, my Iron Warriors are painted as Iron Warriors.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I changed the colours for my Thousand sons. I really have a problem with that blue-yellow combination. I would like them to seem sinister, viscious not like some swedish folk-dancers. And after taking a look on the GW-site on "how to paint your Chosen of Ahriman" I swore an oath never to let their choice in colours inspire me, ever.

If I were to do a loyalist exsisting army though... as mentioned earlier bloodangels are bloodred and Crimson Fists do have a crimson fist...

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

No I don't.

My IG is grey-coats, my orks are green and camo, my chaos is Red and silver even though there are plenty of berzerkers, my necrons are black with white faces.

My opinion is: do what you please. However, I'm sure I would frown on red orks, for example, or on someone who has an ultramarines army but wants to use blood angels rules, because the models were obviosuly painted as ultras.

When I was a manager for GW, we sometimes used GW's color palette, sometimes not, and all colors were welcome in the store. Quality and commitment mean more than stric adherence to something one painter has decided.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Well, this could take soime time for me....

Tau - Completely different system to colors. (Too lazy to explain it here)
    SoB - Silver armor, Blue robes gold Extras (I'm french, so what?)
    OGK(Orange Grey Knight) - I paint them Orange. (4 coats of Blazing Orange!)
    Armored Comapny - Not too sure what I'll do here, but I may make them all nice and shiny.
    SM Bike Army - White with black and some yellow
    Canadian SM CP - Red and white!
    AppleSeed - Not sure yet.......
    Ork KoS - Black, with some red

Can't bother to do anything else!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I don't get the feeling that GW nudges you in any particular way to paint. Case in point - when the new space marines codex came out they were particulary interested in promoting creation of your own chapters.

That said - if you decide to paint up an established themed army from the GW universe you should paint it up appropriately. Otherwise it really isn't one of the themed armies from GW right!? :rolleyes:

If I feel like painting up a particular established army I have no problems with it. Otherwise I paint as I like. Sometimes when painting up established armies I will throw in minor embelishments that help set it apart.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast