Techmarine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Techmarine

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Techmarine

Yep new project, this time for a contest. I have entries into the Fantasy model part but none for Sci-fi, so this guy was lying about.

Now I have to applogize, the colours in the pics are not how they look on the model - well not quite. It's close but I'll try to improve them for next time. Sorry about this.

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/9...inewip18uf.jpg

The idea I had was to give him a completely different look to any other marine of the chapter, and the deep red just makes him stand out among the blue of the other marines. The idea was to keep the armour dark but this time I used a different way of highlighting, this being highlighting it so the light is coming from above and not my usual 'any raised edges' way. ^^ It seems to have worked but the changes are subtle - if people didn't know I prefer subtle changes than to dead straight bright highlights - and are hard/almost impossible to see. The red is Chaos Black/Scab Red and adding more Scab red it slowly gained red gore and then finally as my highlights with blood red. A touch of blazing and firey orange was added to the very edges of the armoured plates that had previously been highlighted.

The flesh I want to have a pale complexion especially around the metal plate/wiring. The skin was tanned and bronzed flesh basecoat and shaded with flesh wash. Dwarf flesh was then added to the basecoat before moving onto elf flesh and highlights with bleached bone and finally skull white. The lighter colours are near the implants.

So far IMO it's looking good, not painted a marine for a while. The only problems atm are my photography skills and the fact I can't do eyes very well. But minor things.

C&C welcome.

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to put a servo arm/harness on him, as well as a Chapter symbol. If the symbol is too much trouble, just put on an Ultramarines "U." If you're trying to win a contest, I'd try to convert his servo-part to be doing something.

Looks really good though. Techmarines and other Adeptus Mechanicus are so cool.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O Briguy
    Remember to put a servo arm/harness on him, as well as a Chapter symbol. If the symbol is too much trouble, just put on an Ultramarines "U." If you're trying to win a contest, I'd try to convert his servo-part to be doing something.

Looks really good though. Techmarines and other Adeptus Mechanicus are so cool.

Ok this is the second time I've had this... I knew I should have put WIP in the title. He's not done, not even close. And he's not UMs, he's my chapter and thus will not get a UM symbol upon his armour. The harness is being done seperately as it makes it much easier to paint the model as a whole and it won't be converted as it's undercoated already.

Thank you for the comments.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Update!

Next steps...

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3...inewip27fd.jpg

The silver was based with a boltgun metal and chaos black mix and then highlighted up with more boltgun then chainmail and finally a touch of mithril silver. The upper most places (keeping with previous highlights on the model) has a touch of skull white added to the mix and highlighted.

The cloth between his legs (hard to see) is midnight blue, regal blue then enchanted blue highlights followed by extreme highlights with a bit of ice blue mixed in. The wire ends are tin bitz, brazen brass, beaten copper and finally dwarf bronze. Highlights were added with a touch of mithril silver for the light catching them. And finally the wires are kept to a simple - red, blue and yellow. These were done as follows -

Red - Red Gore, Blood Red, Firey Orange
    Blue - Regal Blue, Enchanted Blue, Ice Blue
    Yellow - Golden Yellow, Sunburst Yellow, Bad Moon Yellow, Skull white.

Well that's all for now, more tomorrow hopefully. I reckon he's shaping up well, what do you all think?

KU

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I really like the dark, deep red colour. The subtle changes are just the way I like it, the orange keeps it from being to subtle.
    The only thing I'm not (how to express it when we are talking about such brilliant painting) all to found of is the face. The painting is great and all but in my humble oppinion it looks a bit too alive.
    I get more of the feeling of a welltrained kind of tanned-yuppie-man-in-his-fifties-(OK had a facelift)-person than that of a man being more of a machine-all-my-friends-are-machines-and-I-dwell-in-machine-monastry-under-ground-on-an-asteroid-person.

You see the difference? A touch of blue and some veins shining through the skin kind of thing would lift the model a level.

All this is but personal reflections and feel free to ignore.
    I must say it again though: Great job, you are a source of inspiration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Maybe use green stuff to make a hood? I think it would bring out his inner mechanicus.

I tried to avoid progress because I didnt want to embarass you or myself saying whether he was finished or not.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Well after having a few looks at this mini (well it's everywhere so who can miss it) I got some few points.
    First off the skin, well KU not much to comment as it seems that you've mastered it now, both this mini and your previous shows some really great skills with the skin tones.
    Second the red, really subtle highlights and barely noticeable, it take some seconds before you notice them, hopefully the judges at the competion will be so stunned by the skin so they'll spend some extra minutes with it. Otherwise, I think they can easily miss the highlights you've done, unless they're much more easy to see in the real life.
    The Cloth, well, really dark blues and yet another great job with really subtle highlights.
    Metallics, hmm, your silver isn't as good as the rest of the mini. First thing would be that the bolter is very bright, looks almost as it was painted with chainmail only, a good ol' black/dark brown could do it. The axe head is a different story, while it looks good on one side it looks like you've done a SE-TMM on the other, I dunno why but it kind of bugs me.

Ohhh and one thing, I'd paint that left shoulder pad with the colors of a green chapter (salamanders, Dark Angels, Aurora Chapter doesn't really matter) as it's opposite color to red on the colorwheel (also known as Complementaries) and will add a really nice effect to the mini.
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"

Of Trui and Gay

A Chaos Space Marines Diary

Svenska Rackham Sidan

troopseses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you going to do something special for the base? You could grab an point for a nice base.

Vindkall, are you trying to come across as like a Viking? I mean, your name sounds like its Norse or Scandinavian, and your avatar is a neat-looking troll or something. I'm just curious.

Edit: I just looked at your location. You do a good job of conveying it subtly through your name and avatar (at least to an intelligent person).

Edit 2: and there's a whole banner in your signature....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, I may be missing something, but why don't you use a light wash or two of red ink? In my opinion, it really brings out reds, and makes it seem shiny and stuff. Also, it dries glossy, so it might make it seem more metallic.

Iunno, just my 2c. It looks amazing, though. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Thanks for the comments.

The GS work will not be done on this model, the painting has been done already and I'm not planning on risking him. But thank you for the comment. The base.. I dunno yet. Nothing fancy I expect.

Vindy - Thanks, I do seem to have some luck with the skins. They just tend to come out rather well, even if I use different and odd mixes. The highlights on the armour are easier to see in person but as the contest if online I doubt it would make much difference. I agree with the silver, I'm still not all that good with metallics. I wanted it lighter near the top but may have not layered enough changes to show the gradual change in shade down the axe head. The bolter was meant to look rather crisp - he is a techmarine after all, what self respecting one would allow the marine spirit to be angered by dirt?

As to the pads, this is my own chapter and as such the pads will be done in cream. The cloth was done to represent one of their colours and the cream will be for the other but thank you for the comments.

*** Edit **

Captain Strong - I dislike the use of inks, I usually try to avoid them. IMO stuff looks better if they are gradually shaded via layering and now washed. Also I don't want it to shine. But thank you for the idea.

KU
    Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; November 13th, 2005 at 01:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast