Putty Filler - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putty Filler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not have access to green stuff, so I need something that can fill seams or cracks just as well.

I have tryed Plumber's putty on a metal figure, but it took longer than 24 hours to dry and was quite oily to the touch. I have even thought of using bondo, but that stuff smells extremely bad.

Any ideas?

If Wolves were meant to fly, wouldn’t the Emperor have given them wings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to a model railroad or hobby shop. They will carry other brands of fillers and putty. You have to decide what you want to use it for. For cracks and joints I use Squadron White or Green (no real difference). It is a single part putty that comes out of a tube like toothpaste. It is no good for sculpting things, but I find it superior to green stuff for filling cracks and joints. Testor's Red is about the same, but cracks when used in large areas. Its still very good for joints and cracks. I also use them to texture bases. Its a lot cheaper than green stuff and much easier to work with.

For sculpting putty you'll have to try and see what you like. You can get self hardening putty in some of the hobby stores, such as Milliput (fine). You can also get some good putties in the hardware store, but you have to know what to look for. As you found out, plumber's putty isn't good, and neither is window putty. Look for two part epoxy putty (not epoxy glue :lol: ). The box will tell you how much work time and cure time a particular mix has. Just about every epoxy putty will work, they just have different characteristics. Sticky-ness, stiffness, cure time, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will have to look for Squadron in a near by craft store, hoping they have it. Mainly I just need it for filling in gaps where mold lines overlap, because I just got tired of filing each one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about for actually sculpting, say, a small piece of tube? Would you use Epoxy for that?
    Henceforth no man shall set foot upon the world, and all around shall be set sentinals to ward away unwary spacecraft. We must accept that this place is lost to us forever, and is now the eternal habitation of abomination.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>another annoying thing i hate: 47,000 similies in one post. just thoght id throw that in there and see if anybody else hates it as much as i do.</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For simple geometric shapes, such as tubes, sheets, etc, I would just use a piece of plastic the right shape.

For modifications, robes, fur, extra eyeballs on a stalk, I would use epoxy putty to sculpt them. Green Stuff is epoxy putty, just a particular brand packaged by GW. Its made by Kneadatite (spelling?) from whom you can buy the same putty for less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dose Squadron putty sand well, when haredned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it does. It&#39;s a little harder than GW plastic, but softer than metal. It&#39;s designed specifically for filling gaps and cracks in models. I use it to texture stuff and occasionally for sculpting surface details as well. Adding hair, fur, or chainmail and such. Since it&#39;s about the consistancy of toothpaste when applied, its very easy to wipe smooth with your finger or a toothpick when you apply it. It usually requires very little sanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the drying time, on Squadron putty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on how thick you use it. For a medium joint, like the neck of a horse or cold one, it dries to the touch in about 5 minutes, and is hard in an hour or two? Sort of depends alot on humidity, temp, etc. Pretty quick though. If its just a joint, you can sand it and paint over it before its fully hardened. Sometimes I use a lot to texture up a base or fill a slotta base, and that takes a couple of hours.

If its a thin joint I usually wipe it smooth with my finger while the putty is wet, and by the time I get ready to prime it&#39;s good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dose it go out of date like green stuff, or will it last as long?

Sorry for the late reply.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast