Non Spray Undercoat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aiight, as I've posted in a couple other threads, I don't have a whole lot of room where I live, and this one pertains to spray painting undercoats.

Is there a way to do it without using spray paint, because I don't really have a lot of room to work and don't want it getting on any walls or carpets, because I don't really have the room to set up an elaborate paint trap.

You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can paint on Black or White paint for your undercoat, but it takes a long time to do many models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest spraying in a large cardboard box and laying newspaper around on the ground for safety in case you miss a bit. In the cardboard box place your figarines right at the back to avoid mess. If this does not suit you, you can always just paint in chaos black or skull white, but that takes alot of time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get paint on primer and base coat colors. I use them almost exclusively. Right now I am using solvent based (enamel, oil paint) matt black and white paint from Plasti-Kote. As a primer substitute oil base matt paints are much better at bonding to the bare surface of the miniature. I also use glass primer as a miniature primer. It's clear, so you'll still have to paint on a base coat. Some people use black primer as a primer and as a base color for shading, glass primer won't give you the shading.

One note of caution, when using solvent based paint as a primer, test it if you are going to paint over old paint. The solvent will remove some old paints (doesn't hurt plastic) especially if the old paint was oil based. You may have to strip an old painted mini before priming with solvent based primers.

For base coats I use whatever acrylic color and brand I like. Artist's acrylics (the kind in the tube like toothpaste) properly thinned usually, but also Citadel, Vallejo, and others.

I found painting it on is actually better than spraying for several reasons. Unless you are priming an entire army at once, spray doesn't really save any time, plus I have to go outside, have the right weather, etc. Painting I can do right at my table. With spray I had to spray them three or four times from different angles to get smooth complete coverage. I still ended up using paint on to get the deep spots at times. It really didn't save me any time. You also risk the dreaded fuzzy finish anytime you use spray.

I just get a big brush and paint up the whole mini with primer. Its quick. Another advantage is you can primer white and black on the same mini if you want, such as for Templar shoulder pads, or any areas you want to paint red or yellow later. You can't do that with spray unless you leave the piece unassembled.

Closed Thread