A few newbie questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few newbie questions

Hi, I am planning to start painting some bretonnian models. I have decided that, perhaps, men-at arms would be a good start, as they dont seem too complex. However, reading over the forums I have run into a few questions that are important to me:

1. Are gameworkshop paints the best paint? Are there any cheaper or more expensive alternatives?

2. Where can I find good brushes? Are the gameworkshop brushes worth it? Are there cheaper or more expensive alternatives that may be better?

3. When you prime, how do you ensure an even-coat throughout the model? Or does this not matter?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshwound
    Hi, I am planning to start painting some bretonnian models. I have decided that, perhaps, men-at arms would be a good start, as they dont seem too complex. However, reading over the forums I have run into a few questions that are important to me:
    Hi and welcome, lets see if we can help..
    1. Are gameworkshop paints the best paint? Are there any cheaper or more expensive alternatives?
    GW paints are more than addiquate, many competition winners use them, I do (although I use other inks) the higher end of the painting world sometimes swear by Vallejo model colours - I dont believe the paints are that much better, but the pots have a dropper system so you can accurately mix colours over and over again. Vallejo are spanish and not necessarily easy to get hold of asside from thgrough the internet. I would stick with GW. One tip though - GW paints usually need watering down slightly, they are rather thick and if used neat can leave uneven surfaces
    2. Where can I find good brushes? Are the gameworkshop brushes worth it? Are there cheaper or more expensive alternatives that may be better?
    Any art shop will sell you them, use Sable brushes, shouldnt cost you more than a couple of (insert currency of choice). GW ones are average to slightly less than average IMHO, I tend to use Windsor and Newton cos they got some gucci grips, but stick to sable, make sure the brush has a nice point. Dont let paint get to the top of the brisstles and ensure you clean it properly
    3. When you prime, how do you ensure an even-coat throughout the model? Or does this not matter?
    coverage matters - make sure al lthe model is covered, but also try not to get the primer on too thick (commonly to ensure good coverage people will spray too much on which hides detail and makes the models look unaturally "chunky". The best tip I can give is use spray primer. make sure you shake the can well before use and ensure that you dont get too close, those distances on the can - they are there for a reason - use them at that distance
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

I agree with Cheredanine about the most things, but I say that the GW brushes suck.

Any way I use the Vallejo "Game Color" they cost about the same as GW and the quality is about the same. I find that the bright colors covers a bit better then GW, but the best thing is the bottle. Sometimes local stores sell Vallejo and I recommend that you bye them if you see them.

The Vallejo “Model color� is a bit different IMO, they don’t cover as well and you need more layers. The color don’t seem to stick as good to the model as GW or the "game color does. I don’t think its really made for gaming models... Its more for show and that kind of stuffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

The pro painters tend to prefer model colour to game colour, the reasons are -

- model colour was the orriginal Vallejo product, game colour being brought out to compete with the GW range - the colours are pretty much the same and minimal attempt is made to rename them, the general opinion of the pros seems to be "if I wanted GW colours, that is what I would buy rather than a copy"

- more importantyl the pros claim that the game colours tend to dry a different shade from what they are wet, therefore blending and planning often does not have the effect you think it does.

Both of these are however most proliferate in the more "prima-donna" school of pro painting, at the other end of the spectrum, many of the best pragmatic pros stick to GW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    The pro painters tend to prefer model colour to game colour, the reasons are -

- model colour was the orriginal Vallejo product, game colour being brought out to compete with the GW range - the colours are pretty much the same and minimal attempt is made to rename them, the general opinion of the pros seems to be "if I wanted GW colours, that is what I would buy rather than a copy"

- more importantyl the pros claim that the game colours tend to dry a different shade from what they are wet, therefore blending and planning often does not have the effect you think it does.

Both of these are however most proliferate in the more "prima-donna" school of pro painting, at the other end of the spectrum, many of the best pragmatic pros stick to GW
    I have used GW colors (10 years or so), and I have the same troubles with the "dry different shade". I don’t think that Vallejo "game color is better then GW. But I think they are the same class.

Still I pick Vallejo over GW because of the bottle, GW color seem to dry faster (in the bottle) and it is more easy to mix the colors withe Vallejo bottles.

If GW changed there bottles then I might buy them instead because they are more easy to find in the store. So there is no wrong with GW colors and I don’t think you shod buy any cheaper ones. Like craft paint or other hobby paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

I agree the vallejo bottles are much better than the GW ones. It makes mixing color combinations so much easier. I use both the game and model colors pretty much together (though mostly the game colors). I don't have any problems mixing them either.

I also use the windsor and newton brushes. They tend to be a bit more expensive (mine were around $13 each) however they will last you a lot longer. I have had mine for nearly 3 years now and they still hold a good point. That said if you don't take care of them you will destroy them.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

hmm, my brushes have aconsiderably shorter life span, I tend to adopt the "buy a new one each month, weather I need it or not" approach, this allows me to build up quite a stable of brushes for different purposes. W&N have a range with larger, rubberised handles which are both ergonomic and anthropamorphic (my craft teacher would be proud) so the last 10 or so I ahve bought are these

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

I use the windsor and newton series 7 brushes. They are a higher quality sable. I don't know how durable their other lines are but I really like the series 7.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, all of your replies were very informative. These boards have tons of information and helpful people . I'll continue to use the boards for additional info that I may need down the road.

Anyways, I searched for Vallejo paint, but I could not find any (locally). I bought some GW paint at my local hobby store; I found sable brushes there as well. This should get me heading in the right direction, for the moment. Thanks for the help

+ Reply to Thread