It´s so LARGE!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

It´s so LARGE!!

Well now I done it... I got my first Wave Serpent, then I open the box and man how am I going to paint this! This will take forever, is there any good way to paint vehicles?

My only vehicles so far is my Vyper and it took me 40-50 hours. And my support battery is probably more, including the crew.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40-50 hours?? damn son! i spent like 2 on mine, i was a lazy, bad painter then, but it didnt turn out too badly!! 40-50 hours!!!?

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I know the feeling.
    When I first started on my Chaos Defiler I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if the metal parts were made from different metals...". It has become something of my nemesis. I spent a good 200 hours on it, but I think it will never be truly finished.
    One word of advice though (guess you know already, but anyway): Paint before assembly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    I know the feeling.
    When I first started on my Chaos Defiler I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if the metal parts were made from different metals...". It has become something of my nemesis. I spent a good 200 hours on it, but I think it will never be truly finished.
    One word of advice though (guess you know already, but anyway): Paint before assembly.
    hehe yep that one I know...

Edit: Then its like: way did I love those Aspect warriors, ops I need more then one large vehicle!!!
    Last edited by Zentradi; December 21st, 2005 at 21:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

An airbrush would probably be the most optimal for smooth color. Since most people don't have an airbrush (myself included), the next best thing would probably be a spray can of the base color you plan on using (or something similar). This would allow you to paint it rapidly and then go back for the details.

Barring all that I would get a large brush (a tank sized brush) and use watered down paint. This should be rather quick. Then go back with your smaller brushes and pick out the details.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

When you paint things like that you wish you play Ulthwé or something.
    I would say the same as Slorak, tank brush with watered down color and lots of patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 hours!!! Is it Better then Eavy Metal? 200 hours thats like 8 days!!!
    Pew pew pew! (Had too)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

282 (x5)

Well it sound like I just have to get started, maybe I post the final result, in Marsh or so...

I was thinking about a spray can, I didn’t use it on my vyper, but the result of using it on my support battery was good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i know the feeling were you wish you could just finish the models quickly and get it over with because the model is big or the unit just is so big, but i got and usally do something that will inspire me to get back into it like my lizardmen i go and read through some of the book or my imperial fists i go and read about how awsome they were in storm of iron, just doing little things go a long way to boots esteem in myself and other people i know do it to. Try it!
    To do the bidding of the god of decay death and corruption is to be rid of all things that makes you weak only in return for the control of your soul!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

40-50 hours on a vyper i'd love to see this please post a pic if you can.

but what techniques were you doing it in if it was senmm then i'd understand but if not then your using the wrong techniques.

now as for the serpant with this model is is not what to paint but what not to,

(nice model by the way) the way i did this model was to tackle it stage by stage.

first stage is already decided by your choice of craft world.
    so then the next question is:

can i then use a light base coat over the undercoat of black or white?

obviously if your army is siam han or ilyanden the answer is no, but biel tan or ulthwe then yes you can. (mine being ulthwe)

next decide if you really want that back door to open.

in game terms this isn't essential, but for the wow factor yup it is.
    this would also cut down on your painting time.

now as for the actual model itself the only parts i paint (undercoating aside) on any model before i remove it from the frame and build it are the internal parts, and any exceptionaly small bits.

the rest of the vehicle i paint after ive built it. (don't atttach the front wave generators yet though these are still painted at the same time with the same batches of colour mix as the rest of the model).

this means that you dont have to go round and do the touch ups on the parts where you removed them from the sprue, so you then get a much more even paint effect.

designs.
    if im going to be creating a pattern on a vehicle like the serpant then i draw the pattern out on the hull before i glue the wave generators in place . (it is entirely up to you if you wish the pattern continued on the generators or not) but doing this means i dont have to paint the pattern under these bits or the hull for that matter.

this is then painted and the generators then glued on top.

the rest of the model is then painted in colour stages, not in area stages this saves time and lets you get all the shades the same on all parts .

(my mate paints the hull first then the generator spines, then then the guns, as a seperate stage) this tends to give his models whilst beautifuly painted, mixed shades of the same colour, so detracts from the overall quality of the model.

one way round this is for you to use a syringe (a 1 ml diabetic incremented syringe is best) to measure the ammounts of paint out for each colour mix, and then record it

this does have its advantages for matching vehicles or models later on, for touch ups and such.

though you'll have to get a few to prevent cross contamination of the pots.
    WARMASTER of the SCHOLA PROGENIUM Alnwick Chapter (soon to be the world)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast