City Fight Scenery. What Am I Missing? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im looking to make some more cityfight terrain but i ran out of ideas. so far i got a bunker, brick walls, ammo dump, guard tower, mine field, missile silo, sandbags, tank traps, ruined buildings. But now i got no idea what i need

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroyed vehicles, massive piles of rubble...just look up a battle like Stalingrad on the internet or Ortona...i believe it(Stalingrad) has it's own website. Ortona was the site of some of the heaviest street to street fighting in Italy during WWII. All of these things could give you ideas. What else? Barricades, shells that never went off (dangerous to models), dead bodies if you can make them...bridges and rivers.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try playing some games like medal of honor, wolfenstein and even the halflife mod with the same theme.

Try getting something on the battle for Berlin too.
    I've seen some pretty interesting video clips from that battle and it gives good ideas to what you should include.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, this is going to be a shot in the dark since I've never read or played with the Cityfight system.

So here goes, Urban Battlefield Terrain/Scenery 101.

Gun Emplacements (Fixed Gun Positions for defenders)
    Broken down vehicles
    Corpses (Possibly mass graves)
    Mines
    Destroyed Bridges
    Bridges
    Burned down buildings
    Ruined Buildings
    Rubble (Especially near ruined buildings)
    A stray tire here and there
    If orks are involved, two words, Impaled Bodies
    Body parts (An arm here, a leg there)
    Pillboxes (1/2 burried bunkers w/camo)
    Bloody walls
    Blood Splatters (Hold your brush about a foot away, and just splatter red paint)
    Shell Pocked Streets
    1/2 Standing Road Signs
    City signs with bullet holes
    Overturned Vehicles with bottom burned out
    Sandbags (To make these get a sheet of canvas, and cut into rectangles (1/2"x1/4") then fold, sew 2 sides together, stuff with a cotton ball, maybe 1/2 of one, then sew last end together)
    Undetonated Explosive charge (can be used by either side to get an advantage, perhaps destroying a bridge)
    Medic Tents (Possibly burned down)
    Overrun Defenses (1/2 blown away sandwall with a fixed gun laying on it's side)
    Blood Rivers (If your streets have a center of convergence, make it a bit lower in the terrain, and have a blood pool, using PVA, and red paint/ink)
    Blown Oil/Toxic Pipeline
    Ammo Dump
    Tank Traps
    Trenches (Tank Pits: Long, Deep Trenches meant to stop tanks from passing)
    Smoke (Use cotton balls, pulled thin, and dyed to represent smoke, place on/around wreckage)

Okay, that's enough on Scenery.

Now lets get to my favorite topic of them all.

EXPLOSIVES!!! Woo

Okay when it comes time to do battle in urban areas, most nations rely heavily on explosives, because most normal small arms will not penetrate walls thicker than 50mm in depth which is pretty standard housing construction.

As a rule, you should probably cover your explosives with camo/rubble/shrubs, but warn your opponent that you have set explosives, and they are concealed, also add a couple of fakes just to throw him/her offguard.

So here's where I go off on a huge list of the different kinds of explosives, what they look like, and how you can manufacture a lookalike.

Satchel Charge (My favorite, of course) This appears to look like a small purse/bookbag, usually olive green, but contained inside is high explosive, and usually an incindeary explosive. To make a lookalike, get some canvas (Leftovers from sandbags) dye it green, and make a 1/4"x1/4"x1/8" cube, fill it with a portion of cotton ball, then attatch a piece of string to give it a handle, and you're done. Very simple, but one of these baby's can take down a house. The lethal range is about 20 feet, the wounding range is somewhere around 50 feet. So I'd say use a 5" blast marker, any infantry totally covered is instantly killed (NO Armor save, the high explosive cracks armor and the incindiary burns everything exposed), any infantry partially covered makes a save or takes a wound.

Claymores (My second favorite) I mean honestly, if you don't know what a claymore looks like you should be shot... but for those who don't I'll make it easy. A claymore looks like a bent chunk of metal, very small about 10"x6"x2", it has a gentle curve, and is usually painted a dark green, to represent this, take a coke bottle (plastic, 20oz preferably, and cut them into 1/8" wide circles, then cut them into little 1/4" squares, glue about 4-6 together, and in the center, glue 2 pins near the ends, use the leftovers from the bouncing betties (explained later) then just stab them into the ground wherever your heart desires. Claymores work like this, there is about a 1/4 lb of C4 with a steel plate behind it, and about 500 bb's in front of it, when detonated a Claymore has a lethal range of 20', and a wounding range of 50 yards. That's right, 1/2 a football field. So for the closest results, use a flamer template, and anything completely covered is instantly killed (No armor save, if you are in the blast zone, you're dead, no if's ands, or buts, nothing survives a claymore, not even vehicles) anything partially covered makes a save or takes a wound, as a general rule, you should probably get a mortar infantryman (the one with the pushbutton) and say he has to be within 12" of a Claymore to detonate it, treat him as a normal infantryman, except for this, or if that's not your style use any infantry with a com-link or similar device.

C4 This one is really easy, C4 is a high explosive made mostly of the chemical RDX, mixed with a few other things I'm not going to mention. Making this one is easy, all you need is a small amount of modeling clay, and a comlink, cut off the antenna, and a small portion of the comlink (not too much) and place it on the modeling clay which can be shaped just about any way you want (usually a cube, or rectangle) The lethal range for this one is big, Use your largest template to represent a C4 detonation, and the smallest on top of it, anything covered by the smaller one is instantly killed, and anything covered by the larger one makes a save or is instantly killed (No armor save for either, C4 is one of the deadliest explosives we use)

Bouncing Betties, these are really nifty devices, used during vietnam by the VC a bouncing betty isn't a killing weapon, it's a castrating weapon. Basically a bouncing betty doesn't detonate at first, once it is stepped on, and then off, it bounces out of the ground to about waist level and showers infantry with shrapnel, cutting off legs, and other dangly bits. To make this one, get a frag grenade, then bury it in the terrain, paint it the surrounding color, and place 4 little sewing pins and chop off all but about 1/16th of an inch of the pin (not needles, the ones with the flat, or balled end) so they're sticking up at a 45 degree angle, evenly spaced apart with the flat/balled end facing out. Place the largest template at the point of impact, anything covered by it makes a save or takes a wound (a really bad one at that. heh...)

Tank Killer, there's entirely too many of these to name a specific one, but they all look relatively the same, heavy base, thin top, high explosive interior with a blasting cap as the detonator. Usually grey/green in color, they can be made using a bottle cap, cut to size with a flat head sewing pin (just the head this time) glued to the center. You don't need a lot of depth on this one since they're supposed to be pretty well burried. Place a small template over the mine, can only be triggered by a vehicle since infantry don't put down the weight needed to detonate one of these. However if there are infantry in the template they take damage too. The vehicle setting off the mine is completely destroyed, any infantry/vehicle also under the template (complete, or partial) makes a save, or takes a wound. (If a vehicle, all infantry/crew inside take a wound representing a fuel tank blowing, or heavy shrapnel that guts the vehicle but doesn't fully destroy it)

Okay, I'm done, I think everyones tired of reading this anyway, but hey, it was fun

Oh and none of these are to-scale detonations, they're all just representations.
    You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx for the help guys oh yeah and since my last post i made some sandbag walls, they look great. i got the ideas from a post here i recomend you check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nostrafus you must be an expert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily an expert, just spent a good part of my life studying war, and everything dealing with war. Especially urban combat, and guerilla warfare.
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great ideas can be found in the movie, Enemy at the gates. Watch it, great scenery you will be making stuff for weeks after seeing Stalingrad in ruins.

WAAAGH! city fight
    "Da Orks is da best cuz we ar ded ard an killy, mean, green, krumpin machines, hav da most dakka, da stompiest dreads, da shootiest gunz, da biggest bosses, an we uze choppas...WAAAGH!"
    Warlord Hakbash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the list, I know it's a few days late and a few dollars short.

But as for anyone who has worked with cotton and paint, you know the paint will slowly "rot" the cotton, especially if it's aresol.

Instead you can use real steel wool (not the metal scrubbies) if you want to test if you have the right kind get a 9v battery, touch both electrodes to the steel wool, it should "incinerate" meaning you should see little glowing offshoots that actually burn the finely pulled steel wool.

As above for smoke, pull it until it's spaced to the way you want it to look and paint it black with a bit of red, or grey or you can even leave it the color it's at, but it doesn't look right on some kinds of terrain, also scrub and inspect your hands for "splinters" when using this stuff I've gotten quite a bit of the stuff stuck in my fingers years ago, and had to dig it out with a knife, it's not fun. Don't worry pulling it out doesn't hurt.
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Nos, you should get that recognized as an official study. Really good man.

One thing id like to see in cityfight terrain.... A huge bomb blasted warehouse. This would include:

gantries
    walkways
    lots of stairs,
    Heavy machinery (maybe turbines or something im thinking old PC parts)
    Lots of squahed workers, hard hats strewn about the place things like that..

With the roof caved in and some walls down it should add a great strategic place to your game board even if it took a while to make.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast