Big problem involving forge world models and that mould release stuff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big problem involving forge world models and that mould release stuff

Ok, heres the problem.

When i got my forge world stuff, i knew that there was gonna be some stuff on the resin that would inteferre with painting and id have t clean it off - which i did - or so i thought. clearly scrubbing the offending pieces with a toothbrush and soapy water werent enough, since after sticking eveything together and spraying them, i have flakes of paint coming off all over place. ive scrubbed as much off the paint off as possible, leaving the offending areas visible, but i need some suggestions on how to "encourage" the resin to take the paint. the primer i used was the stuff they sell at GW, would a different type of primer work better? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance.

Last edited by inquisitor432; January 1st, 2006 at 00:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

First off - the can of spray from GW - does it say primer on it? The reason I ask is if you are using black - there is a black primer and a black paint. That could be your problem. Other than that - the only suggestion I really have would be to lightly sand the areas not taking paint and then prime again.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

That's wierd. I think the residue is an oil based stuff (don't quote me here) so any oil removing methods should work- which is why I'm surprised that the hot water and dish washing liquid didn't help. On the other hand I've found that the spray undercoats sold in the USA isn't as good as the stuff sold in the UK- don't ask me why. I'm guessing that this is more the problem, ie, that the spray isn't sticking, rather than the residue is interfering. If the glue is holding I really think the spray is the problem. Unfortunately I haven't worked with base coating enough FW models to help much further. Good luck with it.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

You ought to both clean the oily/waxy residue from the resin parts before you glue them together, and when you have assembled the parts - the whole thing should be coated preferably in a polyurathane varnish/primer.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, your biggest problem is not only do you have to clean ForgeWorld models well, you also have to use decent non-GW primers on them because GW primers dont' form a strong enough bond to the Resin surface. Automotive (Car bodywork) primers work best, and are cheaper too.

I'd advise you to strip the model of all the paintwork and then re-prime it with a car bodywork spray, sorry!
    Message to GW: Make more ForgeWorld rules official...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for that, ill be getting some car body primer soon, and ill get back to you all on the results. fortunately theres no paintwork to speak of yet, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. cheers again, and happy new year!

+ Reply to Thread