Holiday painting challenge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holiday painting challenge

Over the holidays a bunch of us tried to paint a unit of 10 men or a vehicle to table top standards. I failed such challenge but here's what I got done.

I blame my failure on installing magnets, having to paint both packs and all the extra arms. One of the plasma pistol guys arms come off and will eventually have the option of choosing a flamer which I think looks pretty cool.

The sgt has a BP, plasma pistol, chainsword, power sword and powerfist option; powerfist not painted yet. I like being able to choose equipment for my units, magnets make them very versitile and pretty different. Questions and comments apprechiated.

...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I like it. You've done a really good job on the white
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice painting, i like your white.White is so hard to look good, what colours did you use ??.

Thanks Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, the white is a b**** to do. All I do is prime white, paint the black areas, then scab red, ultramarine blue details and boltmetal. Then I ink the scab red and boltgun metal with black ink/water mix. Then details like faces, grenades.... But the last step and hardest one is inking the white with black ink then cleaning up the white without covering the details. After that some clearcoat and tada!

I am so looking forward to completing this army. This is my first project, it's been like 2.5 years, I have about 2500 pts of stuff; about 1500 pts is painted but all my units are half done and stuff. I find going back and painting my first minis to my today standards takes time. I paint each marine as if he were an HQ. Plus the magnets take more work.

I'm really looking forward to starting a new army, one with a darker color scheme. I will certainly be able to paint that one up much quicker. I am refraining from buying anything else till these ones are done.
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

I like the colors, and they are very clean. Still I think you need more highlights, the black looks ok and the red is pretty good. The white on the other hand look flat. You have just some black in around the white areas. This is ok far a table top standard that you was going for. But if you want a better look I shod start with a “darker� white. Ad some blue, black or both as the first coat then highlight to white this will look better in my opinion.

Anyway your models have a very good standard, I just tell you what I think you can improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you get magnets small enough for the arms? Also, are they strong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going for depth really. When I started these I had no concept of depth, it's my first really small painting attempt. I went for an unnaturely clean look, so no drybrushing, blending or layering. Of course they could be better but I am sticking with continuity for the army, I think they should all be painted using the same style.

For my next army I'll do painting tests using more advanced styles. And everything looks dull since I used the flat varnish clear coat, it dulls all the colors. I still think they are above most table top standards.

For the magnets I get them from Lee Valley, and yes they are strong. They are rare earth magnets, pretty small but sometimes I have to cut the rod in half with shears, it's real easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Gaussboys sells magnets small enough for an arm-I use them on my Crisis Suits to hold weapons.

Anyways, when I first saw your picture, I thought 'Man? That's below tabletop for you? Damn.'
    Then I actually went and counted the Marines...
    But they're still very nicely done. The only thing I don't like is the Backpacks on the Marines.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, when i am painting white.I do as follows:

Prime black
    Shadow grey base coat
    50/50 mix fortress grey / shadow grey
    fortress grey
    50/50 mix fortress grey / skull white
    skull white

That's my method, i am sure lots of people have different ideas.Check out my farseer and warlock for a example.

Thanks Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi sorry didn't include the link

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...030_943484.jpg

Thanks Matt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast