Brush curl...what am I doing wrong? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brush curl...what am I doing wrong?

I've always gone through brushes like popcorn in a movie theatre because they always end up curling on me. I dont understand it. I thought it was from buying cheap value pack brushes but I bought a $6 brush today from Micheals and its doing it too after painting for about 2 hours with it. Do I need to have a few of them and switch up to not use the same one for too long at once?

Thanks ahead of time.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Ok- big killers for brushes are a; drybrushing, b; dipping the brush so far into the paint pot that you get paint at the bottoms of the bristles (this then dries and forces the brushes apart) c; resting the brush, bristle down, in your water jar and d; any sort of painting that involves jabbing with the brush.

I usually lick my brushes when I've finished- that way they dry into a nice point. Make sure you're rinsing your brush frequently. Apart from that I can't really help.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard of a brush curling before. You don't by any chance leave the brush standing in your painting water? This is a big no no as it will bend the bristles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another forum I was told its because I'm using synthetics, that its pretty common with rounds no matter what you do. I have a brush caddy, I put them down point up when I'm not holdin them in my hand. I keep them pretty wet, but I suppose I do have kinda a jabby stroke.

Thanks
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with acrylic paint u want to only use synthetic...camel hair is like the only natural that is OK... the natural hair doesnt hold acryics too well especially when painting plastics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could use the curve to your advantage, if it isn't too bad. You can kinda reach around corners and into panel lines with it. Most of my brushes curled up but I adjust to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang
    with acrylic paint u want to only use synthetic...camel hair is like the only natural that is OK... the natural hair doesnt hold acryics too well especially when painting plastics
    What do you mean? I figured if anything acrylics would be better since you're not using harsh chemicals to clean the paint out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

The synthetics curl. They are much stronger than the sable which would break under similar conditions. Another common condition for synthetic brushes is fishtailing.

As for brushes - Kolinsky sable is probably one of the best kinds of bristles you can get for a brush. Sable brushes work just fine with acrylics.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang
    Don’t agree I have used a lost of synthetic brushes, because I thought they was good. I juts ok my brush got curling fast... I buy a new on.
    Then I tried a brush made of Kolinsky hair. Man I have never used a brush this long. The price was about 7$ here in Sweden. But there are other brushes are not synthetic that have been really bad.
    I see it like this, a synthetic is often a ok brush, no synthetic brush is really bad or really good. The brushes made from hair can be really bad or really good. I know many pupil like the Winston & Newton series 7, I think this is Kolinsky hair as well. I cant find this brush where I live so I just get a kolinsky brush from another company.

You shod try some different brushes and see what you like. Then there is a few things to do if you want your brush to last longer. Its no drybrush with your best brush, be careful with the metal colors they are a brush killer if you ask me.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your brush curls because you leave it standing in water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast