Concept Work (Brainstorming, 22C Eldar): Guardians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Concept Work (Brainstorming, 22C Eldar): Guardians

Something has always bothered me about Eldar; chiefly that they're a dying race, but still use flesh and blood soldiers in the rank and file, 'sent out to die' role that guardians are in. I mean, honestly, does anyone not expect guardians to die horribly?

You'd think that a race gazillions of millenia old would have combined machinery, robotics, and AI by now. I want to do that for my army. Of course, it has to retain a low-tech, 22nd century look like the rest of my "dirty Eldar". Hope you guys can just throw some ideas out and randomly contribute some things.

Ideas
    - Cyborg (Humanoid, combination of Guardian + Necron Warriors box)
    - Looks a bit strange, not very creative
    - Mechanoid (Spdier, mini walkers, use of CSM backpacks + modifications)
    - Looks strange, looks like .. well, a backpack.
    - Humanoid Cyborg (Combination of guardian + pariah body)
    - Looks great, insanely expensive
    - Automaton (Some sort of floating device? Havn't decided yet, need brainstorm)

Concerns
    - Cost (The basic foot soldier, so need many - can't invest a lot of money in bitz, so choices are limited)
    - Overuse of necron-theme if use of their parts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just mingle some of these cyborg eldar in with your regular troops? This will cut down on costs, but it will still give your army a unique feel.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I see one area you have to address, eldar technology is based around wraithbone and crystals correct? Then cyborgs would look a little out of place IMO as the eldar wouldn't use necron tech. as they are the eldar's enemy.

An eldar would be in pretty bad shape to need that kind of work done on then so they become cyborgs, is there anything to say they 'grow' wraithbone limbs and use crystals to carry the brain impulses?

Original idea though, great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

remember that fluff wise the eldar in the 22nd centuary were still way advanced with the use of the wraith bone style of creating knights, read the necron fluff, khaine fought with 12 constructs against the yngir and they destroyed all who came against them until the flaw in one of the knights broke.

so look at the eldar revanant titan in epic scale and just use bits from this model to robotise the eldar, for one of these giving each eldar one appendage you can get 12 cyborgs for the cost of the two revenants.
    Last edited by Decado; January 10th, 2006 at 11:29.
    WARMASTER of the SCHOLA PROGENIUM Alnwick Chapter (soon to be the world)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about basic guardian bodies etc, but with a skeleton head, or chaos warrior head or something
    So they still look like, and are easily identifiable as guardians. But the alternate heads would make them look suitably different

I like the idea of skull heads...
    Apathy is its own reward...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a gallery of your work so far? Most of those reading this (including me) don't know a whole lot about your army, so getting a look at what you've done so far could help a lot. You could just add a link to a photobucket gallery in your signature for example.

Too bad you're not doing a 'proper' Eldar army, since an Iyanden-style army with spirit warriors would look great combined with some sort of even-weaker wraithguard as guardians.
    You could use Tau drones with eldar guns and mix them in 50/50 with regular troops maybe? Gun drones are available as a separate sprue.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

+ Reply to Thread