Paints used for slightly oxidated copper? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paints used for slightly oxidated copper?

Another question about what paints to use! I'd like to paint a mini in copper colours, but the copper needs to be slightly oxidated, it should have a very subtle green sheen in some areas. What would be some good colours for this effect? Tin Bitz, Brazen Brass, Dwarf Bronze and a mix of Dwarf Bronze and Mithril Silver for the highlights? And then finally a wash of Dark Angels green?

Any tips?

EDIT: I know about the painting metal article in Black gobbo. But the copper looks there aren't really what I'm looking for.

Last edited by pencilgod; January 25th, 2006 at 22:13.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.brushthralls.com/BronzeNMM/index.php

Edit: Oh yeah, you said copper but bronze tarnishes green because of the copper in it - so the tutorial applies.
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

An idea

I'd look at copper and the available paints, pick the closest in comparison. And instead of of green over the copper, paint green spots (irregular in size), then the copper jaggeredly over the want area, leaving the oxyized part exposed. Then to give the warped oxyizide copper look, gride up salt really fine, put glue on the green spots and cover the spots with the salt powder. Then repaint green. Then wash the whole thing in water downed black and brown ink (let each dry). Then layer the sports with multiple greens that you think depic what the copper in that state would look like. This just an idea, but sounds like it may work.

[EDIT] This is if you want that encrusted look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Instead of just giving the guy a link and saying here go try this, using this and that blah blah
    blah, try giving some help based on your expertise.

I've had some really good turn outs for oxidized copper, basically oxidised copper is
    green as the metal rusts. You'll be needing a few shades of green and green ink.

For your greens you'll need snot green, an olive green, and a dark angels green.

Now your looking for examples you say? Go henceforth to the costume books
    or movie guides and look at the elven armour in the second age when they defeat
    sauron momentarly.

To get this effect you'll be basing your models with a dark angels green, and using succissive
    drybrushing using snot green, and olive green. You'll want to blend your colors together
    to have an intermediate medium to use between colors.

Now you'll be wanting to have three different kinds of metals. A brass, dark gold and a light
    gold.

You'll be using drybrushing for this phase for the armour while mixing your metals to get
    to the highlight. You'll want to wipe your brush off and go really light on this, to much
    metal could mess up the effect your trying to create.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions drop me an email.

Dj A.K.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ AUN KOR
    Instead of just giving the guy a link and saying here go try this, using this and that blah blah
    blah, try giving some help based on your expertise.

I've had some really good turn outs for oxidized copper, basically oxidised copper is
    green as the metal rusts. You'll be needing a few shades of green and green ink.

For your greens you'll need snot green, an olive green, and a dark angels green.

Now your looking for examples you say? Go henceforth to the costume books
    or movie guides and look at the elven armour in the second age when they defeat
    sauron momentarly.

To get this effect you'll be basing your models with a dark angels green, and using succissive
    drybrushing using snot green, and olive green. You'll want to blend your colors together
    to have an intermediate medium to use between colors.

Now you'll be wanting to have three different kinds of metals. A brass, dark gold and a light
    gold.

You'll be using drybrushing for this phase for the armour while mixing your metals to get
    to the highlight. You'll want to wipe your brush off and go really light on this, to much
    metal could mess up the effect your trying to create.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions drop me an email.

Dj A.K.

I dont have any expertise painting weathered metal...all I have is a link.
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by NonstickRon
    I dont have any expertise painting weathered metal...all I have is a link.
    Yeah, and don't be rude man, he ask for advice I gave it. People have use the technique on bases, why not models?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Hey, there is a specific product for this - it is called verdigris. It is like a gloopy substance, that looks like white glues kind of. You just water it down a bit, plop it on the metalic copper paint, and then whipe it off of the highparts.
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Sorry for snapping, its just when I see links handed out and they cant walk the person
    through except refer to the tutorial given its just a bit of a let down feeling.

An expansion on what I have said:

Okay so drybrushing right? : Take your brush and gently or harshly wipe the
    residue of paint off, use a kleenex for this. To test you'll want to flick the
    brush on your finger and you'll see the raised fingerprints drybrushed.

Gentle wiping: Allows some paint on the brush to be left on, you'll have to press
    less as you flick your brush across the model. This is a good use for gems, or
    cloth and fabric. Excelent for metal wires ect...Used primarly on boltguns.

Harsh wiping: Allows all the paint to be wiped off, allowing for only residue to
    be left on the brush. Drag your brush against your finger again and you'll notice
    a vast difference. Particular uses include armour highlights ect...Weapons, swords
    wood...ect..

Mixing Mediums: When you use your mixing of the three colors I have given
    as an example you'll be wanting to use ratios, I'll explain how to get an intermediate
    color.

Abreviations:

DA/G = Dark Angels Green (any kind of dark green)
    SG = Snot Green (or intermediate green)
    OG= Olive Green (or bright, dull green/ but lighter than your snot green)

To get your base coat on, fully paint the area in DA/G
    Mix a 50/50 ratio of SG and DA/G
    Lightly wipe your brush and gently flick the newly mixed medium onto the model,
    (you'll want to decrease the area that you paint with your new medium)

Comments: Your bringing your shades up by intermixing the two colors so it will be
    a smooth transition.

Now, (Harsh wipe) Drybrush SG on lightly over the mixed area of SGand DA/G.

I'm guessing you could probably take a shortcut here and use olive green with
    a light drybrush.

Then your going to proceed to your metals. repeat the same process but only use
    Light dry brushing. Oxidized copper only tends to be on the edges, or in the recesses
    of the fabricated metal. Any further commentary let me know.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think so far the tips by DJ Aun Kor and Lictorinthegrass are the best. I'm only going to buy one green color though for this, and that'll probably be Dark Angels green. In real life, oxidized copper is a bit lighter, but I think this will look better. I'll probably try to drybrush Dark Angels Green near the recesses and around the corner, then drybrush with Tinbitz, then Brazen Brass, maybe Dwarf Bronze and then a highlight of either a mix of Mithril Silver and Dwarf Bronze, or Shining Gold and Dwarf Bronze (whatever looks best).

If you guys have better tips for this, I'd still like to hear them! And when I get my paints and try my scheme I'll ofcourse give you some pictures .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Personnaly I would be very carefull, you are likely to end up with green metal if you arent.

I would use a thinned green ink wash over the final paint job myself
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast