Need some help with Tau Paint Scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some help with Tau Paint Scheme

Hey All.

Ok, I started Painting some Tau last night. I started with a Broadside I had. I Undercoated it Black with chaos Black and gave it a Base Coat of Scortched Brown and it went pretty good. But now this is where I run into problems. I tried to put the Vomit brown on and i tried it 2 different ways, straight from the bottom and 50/50 with water and it's horrible in being applied. It's either chalky or streaked and very light. Is this a colour type that needs multiple coats? Or am I doing it completly wrong? Advice would be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance.,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The New Vomit Brown is indeed a thin color that needs multiple coats - they seem to have changed it, because my older screw-top covers quite nicely.

So either patience, and lots of thin smooth coats - or use a more opaque color to make life easier.

It sounds like you're going for the classic Tau color scheme... why not use white primer (the vomit will cover much easier over that), and then paint the lines in with thinned Scorched Brown - since it sounds like you're covering up everything but the recesses anyway.

Or, if you really want to build up from such a dark brown, use intermediate colors - Dark Flesh, Bestial, Vermin, Snakebite... then Vomit.

Or purchase a Vallejo Model Color or two that's close to Vomit brown - Desert Yellow will cover over black in a coat or two (it's quite opaque), and then Vomit over that will be a breeze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[The New Vomit Brown is indeed a thin color that needs multiple coats - they seem to have changed it, because my older screw-top covers quite nicely.

So either patience, and lots of thin smooth coats - or use a more opaque color to make life easier.

Patience I have a great deal of, inexperiance is a different matter altogether.

It sounds like you're going for the classic Tau color scheme... why not use white primer (the vomit will cover much easier over that), and then paint the lines in with thinned Scorched Brown - since it sounds like you're covering up everything but the recesses anyway.

Well I was trying for the Classic Look for practice, and then maybe when I've got some experiance painting, to try a nice Urban Camo look. But basically I was just doing the Armor of the Broadside with the Vomit and leaving everything else the Scortched Brown, Thought it might a little nicer that way, plus I was leaveing the recesses the Brown aswell.

Or, if you really want to build up from such a dark brown, use intermediate colors - Dark Flesh, Bestial, Vermin, Snakebite... then Vomit.

You mean instead of Scortched, use those 3 instead? In the build up as you mentioned? or use the scortched as a base first?

Or purchase a Vallejo Model Color or two that's close to Vomit brown - Desert Yellow will cover over black in a coat or two (it's quite opaque), and then Vomit over that will be a breeze.

Not sure where to buy the Vallejo paints. I've not seen them anywhere. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I did mean to build them up one on top of the other, for a gradual lightening of color - not "instead of" scorched. It's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, though... By the time you've got it light enough for Vomit to cover easily, you've already put on the same number of coats of paint as just doing several thin layers of Vomit!

Vallejos are available through many, many online retailers, and quite hard to find in shops. If you're in the US, I've found Neal at TheWarStore to be very fast, reliable, and accurate in filling orders.

For that classic look with GW paints, try this:

Undercoat white
    Paint the armor solid Vomit brown
    Paint all the panel lines with Scorched, Dark Flesh, or Bestial Brown
    Touch up the Vomit Brown
    Highlight the edges of the Vomit Brown with Bronzed Flesh

Then there's the details...
    Paint the "worky bitz" black, highlight with a mix of black and Codex
    paint random armor panels Scab Red, highlight with red gore and blood red
    Etc.

+ Reply to Thread