My latest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My latest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My latest

I've got a bad habit of starting minis and not finishing them lately. Here's one I actually finished. Hes a special edition Rackham unit. The Crow.

The slate was originally highlighted a lot more but the figure blended in with it too much so I darkened it all up. This is my first time ever using flocking, it probably could have been better. I really like how hes posed though, very happy with how that came out.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Wow, isn't that the guy from "Finders keepers" and "Spellbound" the ancient C64 games? Fantastic games by the way.

i think you've made a great paintjob here, the only thing I would like to see is some Mithril highlights on places where the metal has been damaged recently. Like the edge of the sword and around the joins.
    I really like, and is very impressed by, the blood on the sword, it looks so fresh and living.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

I love your metallic colors, I have a hard time with the metallic colors.

The model is really sliding of the rock

I cant say any really bad things about this one. The only part that don’t have the same standard as the rest of the model is the blood. Don’t really know way, maybe the color or the way it is painted on that blade.

I’m usually no fan of blood on models, but this one need the red color as the rest of the piece lack contrast except for the red.

Your rock? looks a little weird as well. Cant see what is suppose to look like. I shod not have combined the Sharpe edges with the round "greenstuffs" parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand, the secret to metallics is washing them several times with various colors to kinda of make them part of the piece instead of standing out from it.

Seems like some people like blood and some dont. I like it.

Was afraid to do any highlighting with silver (I guess thats what you mean by mihtril). I didn't want to risk overpowering the subtleness of the rust or the grey highlighting already done. Dont know if you've ever tried to remove rust but it doesn't come off of a knife from chopping through flesh and bone. Maybe chopping armor, but usually theres just more rust underneath. And iron is never silver, check out the cast iron pans next time you're at the store. Medium to dark gray, brand new. Shrug.

I wasn't really trying to make the base look LIKE anything other than cool...just wanted to stress the rediculousness of the figurines size and make it a bit more motive looking.

Thanks for the comments! Keep em comin!
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I think you have come a long way in a few short miniatures (no pun intended! :w00t. I like how the armor turned out. Overall a nice muted figure and there isn't anything wrong with that!

I think you have the blood spatter down well enough and it adds an interest to the blade - however I think your choice of color for it may be a bit distracting. The red is coming off as almost flourescent. Maybe a duller red would have been more appropriate for the tone of the miniature.

The static grass looks ok. Maybe a bit flat. What I do is apply the glue sprinkle on the static grass and then blow in an upward direction from the bottom of the miniature. By blowing in different angles you will get the grass to stand in random directions. It might look a bit more natural. Otherwise no big deal.

For the slate - I definitely think you have an interesting look for the base - I personally would like to see it lighter to contrast a bit more with the figure.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments brothers, I really appreciate the input. I agree, the grass could have looked better. You can tell if you look at one of the full size shots that theres way too much clearcoat on the grass, has some of it beadign up. It really was my first flock experience, hehe. I had painted the glue on the base and kinda just squished a tuft of grass down in the spot, mashing it a bit with a sculpting tool to really get it in the cracks. Next time will be better, I promise. I'm thinking of sketchign my bases out before hand so I have more of a plan when I make them. That one was totally improvised as I went. I've never been much for planning artwork ahead of time, more of a try as I go kinda guy. Course I'm used to dealing in a digital environment where I have 100 steps of undo. hehehe

Slorak I've come to really respect your experience and oppinion, your input means a lot to me. I was inspecting the figure after I read your post and comparing it to the photo, it (edit:the blood) really is way bright in the pic, I dont know why. its more muted on the actual figure. Probably because in that photo I had the figure like 3 inches from a flourescet desk light.

Sometimes I may sound arguementative when I get a comment but I'm not meaning too...just trying to say what was going on in my head when I did a certain thing or other. I appreciate the feedback here even when I dont agree with it. A much more reactive community than the rackham painting forum most times, even though I think more people visit that one.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by NonstickRon; February 15th, 2006 at 14:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice.
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted it on coolminiornot.com

http://www.coolminiornot.com/114031

+ Reply to Thread