Layering order - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Layering order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Layering order

Hello Everyone... This is my first post to this forum. I have been lurking here now for several weeks and enjoying myself greatly, learning alot about everything there is to know, I guess...lol... Anyways, I was wondering if I could gather some insite from the members of this forum.
    I am painting the Armageddon Steel Legion troopers at the moment, and I am having trouble with the boots. Perhaps I am trying to apply all the various techniques I have learned all at once, or I should get rid of the nagging wife...
    I paint on the base layer (scab red+a wee bit of black) for a nice rich brown, then I highlighted by adding white. Now, I watered down the paint each time, applied it nice layers, trying to blend it, tagging the highlights etc. with each pass. I ended up with a total mess and purple looking boots! Where did I go wrong??
    Should I 1. Apply base coat
    2. Apply inks to deep parts to make shadow
    3. Apply lighter color to highlights

Does this make sense? Is it the right order?

Thank you for your input and time.

Cheers,

RADIO

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think where you went wrong was your color, not method. Mixing Scab red n black will get you what looks liek a brown. But then adding white back into that may make a whole new moster.

Perhaps try oaver again with the same base color, but use something like a straight bestial brown (thinned a bit) as your first highlight. Then att a touch of white or Bone to it for the peach high lights.

To give you a visual example - look at my Imperial Termie Captain here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-imperial.html

For his tabbard, I started with schorched brown. Then started mixing it with bone and layering it on. leaving only a little of the base color in the deepest recesses. I wored up in layers, each layer getting to be more bone, and less schorched brown until it was pretty much just straight bone.

You probably noted that I used no inks in that case. You don't always need to use inks to shade. But for the metal (we'll look at the gold) I Painted them a bronze-y color first and washed them with a mix of chestnut and brown ink to pick up the recesses. Then went back in with the two golds to pick up the highlights.

You might jsut need to experiment a little.. sometimes experiments can lead to really neat results. Don't be afraid to 'play'
    Last edited by yuushin; February 14th, 2006 at 20:50.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

The problem is that you ad white to the mix as yuushin sad. As you have red in the brown, and as we all know red + white = pink.

I shod start the highlight back to scab red and maybe ad little orange in the mix. I have not tried this my self. But I usually highlight red with orange.

If you like it to be more brown, then the best way I think is to ad brown to the red for the highlights.

There is also possible to do as you did highlight with scab red and the blood red or something, but that gives you dark red boots.

+ Reply to Thread