How to paint a 'glowing' powersword? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    KfS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to paint a 'glowing' powersword?

I have searched on here and CMON, as well as Google, and I can't find what I'm looking for.

Similar to this: http://www.coolminiornot.com/86814 (Painted by Commander Y)

I'm pretty decent at blending on armor, etc., but for some reason, my swords' highlights look horrible. Any tips on this would really help. Thanks!

Last edited by KfS; February 17th, 2006 at 05:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you posted some pics, it would be easier to help you out.

The basic technique is to start with your darkest color as a base and then gradually add lighter and lighter colors to the mix unti you eventually get to pure yellow or white on the tip and upper edges of the sword. Since you're going for the glowing look, you will end up using lighter colors on the edges. as far as the little juts of lighter color go, just blend in light colors into the areas where you want the jutting effect to be and then gradually work your way up to the lightest color. The most challenging part will be that you need to keep the paints on your palette wet the whole time. Vallejo colors dry slower on the pallette and GW colors dry pretty quickly. You might have to add a drying retardant to the mix. If you use Vallejo colors, they sell a vallejo drying retardant. If you use GW paints, trsy a tiny little dab of dish soap. Be careful with the dishsoap though, it makes the paint easy to rub off if you use too much soap. Your best bet is to go with Vallejo colors.
    What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

"For all the good our lasers are doing, we might as well be spitting at it!" - Dr. Mindbender, Cobra

KfS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I have to try keeping them wet, I was keeping too much time in between the different colors going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one I did a while ago. Like Bulldoglopez, I started with the darkest colours layering on the lighter ones, getting thinner as I went. If you wanted the whole sword to glow, just do this on a bigger scale than the energy crackles I did.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure since you linked to my CMON image, it's only right that I should say something!

I've got the "recipes" I used for the green and some blue power weapons up on my (small and slowly expanding) Recipe Book page: http://www.minivault.com/RecipeBook.htm

The technique I used was "fake blending." Fake insomuch as it is not wet blending, but relly just layered highlights.

Each successive layer goes through the same process - I'll use Snot Green and Goblin Green as an example. Once the Object is painted all Snot green, paint half of the object opaque Goblin Green (or with the multiple, multiple layers I used, an opaque stripe halfway between the hilt and point). Then, thin down the Goblin until it is translucent - mix well, so as not to have swirlies of clear water. Ovelap the opaque stripe of Goblin AND the Snot... this will start to "fade" the color from Snot to Goblin, as the translucent layer allows some of the Snot to show through. Also, "pulling" the translucent paint from the darker toward the lighter color will help build up pigment toward the brighter end.

Clear as mud, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i might just add that you will probly not get a finished product like comander y because hes one gd and knows what hes talking about, but listen to him and youll do fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yes - if I were to listen to someone speak about painting, it would be Commander Y :yes:

KfS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone, and thank you Commander Y for a perfect example.

+ Reply to Thread