WIP pics - comments appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WIP pics - comments appreciated

Working on 3 units at once, bases just roughly basecoated as yet. Multiple pics of the one and then one of each of the others. I'm at the point where I'm trying to concentrate on just the first one to get it polished up. Currently I'm doing highlights on the skirt. Like I said, I'd appreciate some constructive critisizm. Colors are pretty acurate, depending on your monitor, as long as you keep in mind that the minis are less than 12 inches from a 150 watt halogen. As such the skin tones are reflecting rather brighter than normal, so losing some detail. Thanks ahead of time guys.

Hybrid A

Hybrid B

Hybrid C

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Very nice!
    I would recommend using watered down inks to bring out the detail in the mini and perhaps enhancing the highlighting a bit. Also, is the mini varnished? That cloth looks very shiny.
    Other than that, I think they are great. I also love the scenic bases.
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What mini is that I really like it good rust effects kep the skin that pasty pale color too
    I shall not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will allow it to pass over and through me. And when the fear has passed I will turn the inner eye to see its path. There will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

very nice job! i commend you on your work. another reason to be nice(r) to you.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OH yeah, sorry. They're the Hybrid footsoldiers from Rackhams "Hybrid" dungeon crawl boardgame.

And no, no varnish yet.
    Last edited by NonstickRon; March 1st, 2006 at 02:02.
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Overall I think you have a great start going. I really like how the rust is coming along. Personally I like to see a little reddish/purple around the armor plates for "infected skin" with these guys. That would be cool if you added that touch. I also like the way that the glowing eyes are coming along.

One thing that I have to comment on is the bases. I think you have an interesting idea but as it is it looks like the flat stones are jammed into dough. I am sure you can probably cover it with static grass but as it is now it doesn't really look realistic. Maybe a thin layer of sand would add some texture to areas of it to roughen up the soft look it has.

I would mute the purple robes as well. Currently I think they are too bright to fit this style of figure. Maybe mixing a cream or bone color to your purple will tone it down a bit.

I know that these are still WIP progress pictures but hopefully there are some ideas in here that you can find usefull. Overall a great job and in a few short figures you are really coming in to your own with the painting!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your idea for the rotted skin Slorak. Suggestions like that are exactly why I wanted to post them as a WIP.

The eyes are intimidating me a bit but we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll pull out some plastic orcs and practice glowing eyes on them. I'm afraid of messing up the heads now that I've made such a good start on these.

The bases are far from done. I have some stuff I'm going to try out on them. Its called Pumice Gel by Golden. Its crushed pumice in an acrylic emulsion suspension, meant for brushing on texture. I have coarse and extra coarse, and I'm eager to give it a test. I want to stay away from turf or grass on these as they're for a dungeon crawl game and I'm not sure thats the look I want. I want the rock slabs to resemble crumbled walls more than slate. Maybe just wishful thinking.

After I smooth out the highlights a bit more on the robes, I am hoping to get some mud up on them, dirty them up a bit.

Thanks. All comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like everything except the purple cloth. It is too shiny and light for the rest of the model. It's like catching the eye to to look at the rest at the model which is much better done. I would recomend to make the cloth less shiny and darker.

Overall, great model. :yes:
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

+ Reply to Thread