Whats The Diffrence Between Normal Paints And GW - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats The Diffrence Between Normal Paints And GW

Hey Guys,
    What is the diffrence between normal paints and GW paints?? Are GW paints just on the market for people to spend more??? Im debating on buying normal paint or GW paint so if you guys can tell me what GW paints are good for it would really help me on my desicion

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Uhhh...? Normal paint? Can you please elaborate considering there are thousands of "normal paints". GW paint is very high quality paint for minis. Other brands like Vallejo, and Coat d' Arms are also good. You dont want to use really cheap $.50 crap paint because it gives a horrible finish. And if you do go get "normal paint" make sure it is water based acrylic or enamal because Craft WaterColors isnt gonna do you any good. :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Normal paint? Like housepaint? That's just ultra-hardwearing and probably too thick to use on miniatures.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As people are pointing out, there is no such thing as "Normal Paint, GW is more than addiquate acrylic paint, although arguably not up to the standard of valejo, which pros tend to prefer, Equally GW paint is rather thick as are most acrylics and needs diluting.
    Finaly horses for courses, I use Tamahoya (sp) for my airbrush as the paint is formulated with that in mind, it is much cheaper than GW, but I dont use it for general painting.
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

The big different bet vine cheap paint and the more expensive, like GW, Vallejo or Reaper. Is that there is more pigment in the more expensive paints. Also the size of the pigment it self is smaller. There probably is other paint that has the same quality as GW, Vallejo or Reaper, but I just don’t know about them.

You can try your self, but remember that you don’t need that much paint when painting your miniatures. Most of the money is for buying the miniatures any way.

I know that NonstickRon have looked around for other paints maybe you shod ask him, if he have come up to something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By 'Normal' Do you mean Humbrol? If you do, the answer is simple. DO NOT USE HUMBROL ON WARHAMMER! Its far too thick to work well, and being oil based is much harder to thin down than Acrylic Water based paints such as GW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

When I was 11 or so I used green hobby paint for the bases of my first Chaos Warriors. Not pretty at all.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've not tried any of the "miniature" paints that are available. Working in Marketing, I tend to think most likely they're at best, thinned artist quality acrylics. Artist quality acrylics, granted will be usually "heavy body" acrylics meaning very thick. A tube of whatever color will last you forever though, because you'll be thinning it every time you use it. They can be thinned with various acrylic emulsion mediums but you may want to just buy some "miniature" paints for simplicities sake. Golden makes a line of thinned "Fluid Acrylic" paints which are very very very nice. They're also very expensive.

Unless you get lucky like I did and find a huge sale, you'd be better off investing in something like one of these. I had planned on it before finding that big sale on Golden paints.
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product20871.html
    http://thewarstore.com/modelcolorsets.html

Craft paints (department store craft section) can be used to fill in your paint selection cheaply but plan on replacing a lot of the colors, you wont really be happy with them once you've tried higher quality paint. The acrylic enamels can be interesting to work with. They dry glossy but give a very even coat when used over a regular acrylic bascoat. They give a slightly different effect when using them as a wash.

So far I've only used Createx black airbrush paint for my inking. I happened to have some and liked the results when I tried it out, very diluted of course.

There was a big discussion on all this on the Rackham painting forum.
    http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/viewtopic.php?t=18793
    Last edited by NonstickRon; March 6th, 2006 at 15:41.
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

+ Reply to Thread