Learning highligtning aint as easy as u think - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning highligtning aint as easy as u think

I just started painting again after almost a 10 year break. This time im determined to learn and master techniques which I didnt used to care about. The first one is highlighting.
    After reading several guides I get this picture:
    Basecoat with black. Paint the model with a very darkgrey and pretty watered out. Keep mixing colors like this until u reach the preffered color. The thing is, when I water out the second and third layer they pretty much cover eachother (pants on a imperial cadian) since watered out paint fills the gaps instead of the heights. It feels like the process becomes inverted.
    Please help me figure out what Im doing wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    I just started painting again after almost a 10 year break. This time im determined to learn and master techniques which I didnt used to care about. The first one is highlighting.
    After reading several guides I get this picture:
    Basecoat with black. Paint the model with a very darkgrey and pretty watered out. Keep mixing colors like this until u reach the preffered color. The thing is, when I water out the second and third layer they pretty much cover eachother (pants on a imperial cadian) since watered out paint fills the gaps instead of the heights. It feels like the process becomes inverted.
    Please help me figure out what Im doing wrong
    sounds like you have too much paint on the brush. Don't be afraid to wipe some of it off so that it doesn't over saturate and spill to areas you don't want it. Also if it is too runny it will tend to gravitate to the lowest spots. If this is happening even after wiping some of the paint from the brush then maybe you paints are too thin.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah that might be the deal. If we take a 5 step highlight, what should the different water ratios be? I really dont know how to mix the color correctly and have been unable to find information about this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

For smoother transitions of color you want to make sure that your paint is slightly translucent. This will help blend the edges of the color transition together better. There really is no magic formula. Try to strive for a paint that is thin enough to paint on without streaking and thick enough to where it doesn't run all over the place.

Trial and error will be your friend. Find a happy medium that works for you. The more you do the better you will become.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy "medium" might be the trick you're looking for. Some acrylic emulsion polymer such as Golden GAC100. Use a little of that and you'll need less water. With an acrylic polymer you can control your transparancy and your thickness seperately.

I'm still working to perfect it myself but i really think the acrylic polymer helps.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/gac100s.php
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

5 step highlight?

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...&imageuser=106
    Roughly 25-30 layers

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...&imageuser=106
    about 15 layers

More layers the better the blend
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread