How to go about building your own Drednoughts... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

How to go about building your own Drednoughts...

I'm thinking if I start playing 40k again I'm going to play a Drednought heavy army. However if I did I'd probably want to make my own drednoughts out of cheap materials and just buying the weapons from GW (no matter how much I try I can never pull off weapons well). So I'm wondering what materials to ude and how to go about making it...

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastistruct or whatever brand of plasti-card your local hobby place might have. This will probably be the core building material. You'll probably also want to get "I" beam and "O" tubing (maybe even square tubing) for the structural build part. Green stuff is also going to be a must. If you're lucky, you might beable to build 2-3 Dreads for the cost of a GW dread in material ($35-40). Not much of a save, but still worth it. At this point, I'd venture to say that a Dread is soo unique that it is going to be difficult to mimic - its legs for example cannot be found in any NON-Dread model set. But that kind of challenge may also be the most rewarding for you when you are able to pull it off! Good luck!
    ~Peace only comes through superior firepower. Now Reload Dammit!
    ~Fight smarter, not harder!
    "Hold your fire until you see the whites of their eyes!...Oh screw it! It's not like these lowest bid lasguns are going to do anything anyway. Open Fire!" ~ Lt. Marcus Aurileus Cashain'tus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Hmm, I was just looking at it and I realised the upper body is probably one of the easiest things in the world to make. It consists of 2 pentagons connected together by a Trapezoid with a little bit of flare added to it.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i've scratch built 2 for my list, and a thirds body. the legs are by FAR the most difficult thing to do. i ended up just using whatever long pieces of plastic i could find, beefing them up with bits of wire and greenstuff, and anything techy looking from tank kits. i'm still trying to sort out the armour on one of thems legs. ork shoulder pads fit nicely if you've got any of those spare.

it might actually be worth buying metal legs from GW website, as its only £6 i think. or something like that (without the feet, which are also a pain to make). still, once you've got lets n feet for each dread, it's more a case of shoving an angular box on top and giving it arms

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I think I have a decently easy solution to the leg problem.

First, the upper body will be, as said before, a trapeziod for the soul compartment thing (which I plan on hollowing out and putting a skeleton's torso and head in there, with the head coming slightly out of the front screaming), and then 2 pentagons (pretty much squares with a diagonal slice removing one of the corners) for the shoulders. All this with wires showing on the back of the model and magnets on the outer parts of the shoulder to make arms be interchangeable. Easy, easy stuff. And the whole thing will be slightly (10-20%) larger than the actual dreadnought model.

But then the legs and the hips will be: Rectangle for the crotch area, with the front most side cut backwards at an angle (making it a trapezoid) and pistons sticking out of each side. Upper legs will be rectangles. And the lower legs just plain cylanders. The feet are just pretty thin squares with a square cut out of the 4 corners, the toes cut at an angle downwards with 2 slits in each section (making 3 toes for each toe set and a total of 12 toes, much like the actual model).

The hips to the feet are simplified versions of the picture in the codex.

Throw a bit of flare on the shoulders and lower legs, a bit of wiring for effect and ta-da. A dreadnought. I'm not too sure how much the plasti-card will cost but with how much will actually be necessary the whole thing will be pretty darn cheep, the most expensive parts most likely being the gun arms.

Oh, and as for a missile launcher: Trapezoid reversed with pins sticking out of it as missiles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

How much does plasticard generally cost, and what sizes does it come in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

i suggest buying one and seeing how it goes together. try that. then, you can trace the shapes and make a pattern.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Look around http://groups.yahoo.com . You'll find a lot of info there, if you need exact directions, PM me for details.

Yup, scratchbuilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

For the legs you could always buy a pair of metal ones, then make a mold out of greenstuff, and then you can make all the legs you need.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Amishcellphone
    For the legs you could always buy a pair of metal ones, then make a mold out of greenstuff, and then you can make all the legs you need.
    As bizarre as this may sound, that’s actually copyright infringement, and is forbidden by GW. It’s also against forum rules to discuss techniques for casting, moulding, and reproducing blitz, even if it’s about reproducing your own creations. To avoid this thread getting locked, I suggest that discussion of that ends here.

You could have a drop by your local department store and have a look through the action figures, and model kits. Some gundam legs shortened and added onto with some parts from say a plastic car kit that includes all the little engine bits might work out for you. You might even be able to find something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    there is a difference in a well educated kick and an amateur one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast