Painting Advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Advice.

Hello there, I am currently painting my 40k Orks and was wondering if any of you could help me out here. The way I currently paint my minis is I paint each piece and then glue them together. However this takes me roughly about 1-2 hours for 4 orks. As for the way the minis look I think they look good, but I can not critque` myself. Do you all put your minis together first and then paint or do you all follow the same route that I do.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When painting a unit of guys I usually put them all together then paint them. If I am doing a character, or a special model I may paint bits and pieces, but not usually. Best way to do it fast is with all of the models put together in one go, black base coat and a very gentle drybrush of the base color you plan to use (sounds like green in this case).
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I base coat them black. I then paint the skin green, followed by painting their clothing various browns or in cases of armour plating tin bitz or some other metalic colour. Then once that is done I ink the skin area and set it to the side to be flocked later. I know that it just takes me what seems forever to paint them and I don't want to rush them I just want a quicker way of painting them LOL

Manakari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

With the Orks, you can put together the whole model bar the head before painting. Space Marines are harder in that respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever model I paint I'm always gluing the model together first. Don't paint what you can't see.

If I wanted to paint just one miniature to show my painting skills and have it standing in a bookshelf then I think I'd glue the parts together after painting. I'm enjoying the model more when I'm painting the whole model.
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just leave off the bits that get in the way, so with my space marines that is the gun and the pack. Withorks you should be able to glue it all together, but I would leave the gun off if it gets in the way.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

I built my first 2 fire warriors (first GW models ever for me :]) first then painted them, and they looked terrible, and it wa annoying to do. Then my friend suggested painting the different parts seperately and then assembling, which i have done since, and my models look pretty good. So I just prime the sprues with black, all at once.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only problem with that idea for me, is that when you are doing any shading or highlights, when you chop the part off of the sprue to glue them together, you have this new light grey spot that needs to be painted (shaded or highlighted) to match.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well yea i do the whole "Paint On The Spruce" (from now on let it be POTS) lol so i POTS my minis, and they look fairly alright, but with that disappointment of the new grey spot that needs to be repainted, usually they are things you dont see. At this moment i'm doing my SM scouts, and they look fairly alright, though i like to spend more time on painting then gaming .. anyway yea, i would suggest you grab some earphones, get some music, and continue what u can, or just assemble them then paint them...

+ Reply to Thread