Highlighting Red - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Highlighting Red

Right now I'm painting an Ork Shaman, and while the skin colour is coming out very well, I'm a little worried about the colour of the robes. The intention is to have them dark, crimson red.

I used scab red, then mixed in blood red to make successively lighter layers of highlights, then mixed in skull white in to make the really light highlights. The trouble is, the highlights with the white have come out pink, and I don't think it looks right.

Any suggestions about how to paint dark red which isn't going to end up looking too dark from lack of highlighting, or come out pink?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

necron boi

What u should do:
    .dont panic if the red does come out too dark or too light as u can go over it again.
    .add a little chaos black to it in aratio of about red5:1black
    .have fun:w00t:

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Instead of highlighting with white use orange.
    I do like this for a dark red colour. (washing OK, not painting, so all layers are very thin)

black base
    bleached bone wash
    blood red
    scab red
    black/brown/scab red wash for shading recesses
    highlight with blood red
    highlight with orange (blazing I think)

If you look in my thread you'll see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do

scab red

blood red (thin highlight)

chestnut ink wash

Blood red.

You can see it in "crappy lysnader" in the painting forum...
    Your Signature:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use blazing orange instead of white. I does the trick nicely, even with a highlight of almost pure orange. A tad of white on the corners if you want it looking that crisp.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Painting dark red is a lot easier than bright red. Start with a very dark base colour- try mixing a hint of scorched brown (rapidly becoming my favorite mixing colour) to get a dirty, orcish dark red. Then mix in blood red for the highlights. I did this chap

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...hp?i=2055&c=44

like that. If you want a lighter red then mix in an orange but be careful! The overall appearance of red is very easily changed by highlights. Use very thin highlights that aren't oo abrupt in colour change and the figure will still appear red. If your highlights are too thick or too dramatic the figure will start appearing orange (or possibly worse- pink). For something like the shaman, who won't have too many abrupt edges I'd go with the dark base coat and highlight up to the main red colour, as described. That way you don't have to worry about altering the colour and you can safely use broad, smooth highlights that work best on cloth and robes.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, nice shaman. The method you used gave a very good result but how long did it take to paint it? Only the red robe I mean.
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Thanks for the advice guys. It hadn't occured to me to use orange, so I will have to try. I understand about the subtlelty though, I'll do my best.

I've been using layers of watered down blood red to bring the colour back down from pink, and I think I'm ready to try again. So if I come back and squea loudly over the next few days, you'll know I've screwed it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In doing my fire warriors I ran into a similar problem, but mine was more of a too orange look. I started with primer black then went to red gore followed by a blood red red gore mix and found that it looked too orange, after several coats of red I don't know if I'm ready to highlight, or what I can do to tone down the orange effect.

Advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Try adding snakebite leather, bleached bone or one of the lighter browns.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast