Swampy / Marshy plants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member Emerald Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Oa
    Age
    43
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    21 (x1)

    Swampy / Marshy plants

    Hello all,

    I was just wondering if anybody out there could offer some advise as to how to paint /model swampy / marshy plants onto a model.

    Let me clarify. I recently saw a collection of pictures of Necrons that were given a "swampy" look and looked as if there were swampy weeds hanging off of them. I was hoping on mimicking the look for a WARMACHINE ARMY that I am putting together.

    I want them to look as if they have been sitting at the bottom of a swamp and that when activiated again, they have risen up... ready to fight.

    I have looked at several different ideas as how to do it and have yet to come up with one I like.

    In case there is any doubt, here is the link to the Necron page so that you can see the idea I want to do.

    http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/terror...ack_lagoon.php

    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

    "The pleasure of satisfying a savage instinct, undomesticated by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct. The reason is becoming the enemy that prevents us from a lot of possibilities of pleasure" S. Freud

    "Sin is in... Let us begin!"
    D. Leary

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LO Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nærbø, Rogaland, Norway
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x4)

    Ok I've checked the link, great models there...

    You said you want to model marshy plantstuff onto models, I've never done such a "swampy" job, but I'll imagine that trying to use old stuff from first aid kits would work.
    In firstaid kits you'll usually have rolls with meters of medical gauss(Not sure about the name for it).
    If you try snipping a piece off and then try pulling that apart I think you should get a material that look just like swamp sediments when it's correctly painted.
    Try thinking of using camo netting, just pull it slightly apart and maybe fold it a time or two to give the right "thickness" of it...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

    HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

  4. #3
    Member Emerald Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Planet Oa
    Age
    43
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    21 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayero
    Ok I've checked the link, great models there...

    You said you want to model marshy plantstuff onto models, I've never done such a "swampy" job, but I'll imagine that trying to use old stuff from first aid kits would work.
    In firstaid kits you'll usually have rolls with meters of medical gauss(Not sure about the name for it).
    If you try snipping a piece off and then try pulling that apart I think you should get a material that look just like swamp sediments when it's correctly painted.
    Try thinking of using camo netting, just pull it slightly apart and maybe fold it a time or two to give the right "thickness" of it...

    Thanks for the idea... I had not thought of that but I bet it would work well. I'll have to give it a try.
    "The pleasure of satisfying a savage instinct, undomesticated by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct. The reason is becoming the enemy that prevents us from a lot of possibilities of pleasure" S. Freud

    "Sin is in... Let us begin!"
    D. Leary

  5. #4
    LO Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nærbø, Rogaland, Norway
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x4)

    You go ahead with that...

    It's the only way I can think of making the swampy grass/plants realistic...
    Combine it with an appropritae paint scheme and it will look great...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

    HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

  6. #5
    Senior Member CPT Shortcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    U.S., Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    8 (x1)

    Aquarium plants might work.

    If you want weeds hanging off of your models perhaps dip some thread or yarn in glue and then drape it over them. Paint it when it dries.
    My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

    Iron Clan

  7. #6
    Senior Member Frankendoodle65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -1 (x0)

    you could always ask marco how he did it, seeing as it's his bases you want to replicate. his e-mail address is chtorrr@hivefleetmoloch.de, and he's always happy to answer questions (believe me, i've asked many...), though he may take a while to reply.
    if you are reading this signature, then you are wasting you're time, and i am wasting my time by writing it, so run along now, jimmy, run along.

  8. #7
    LO Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nærbø, Rogaland, Norway
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankendoodle65
    you could always ask marco how he did it, seeing as it's his bases you want to replicate. his e-mail address is chtorrr@hivefleetmoloch.de, and he's always happy to answer questions (believe me, i've asked many...), though he may take a while to reply.
    Great help with the e-mail there, thanks on behalf of the forum...

    Quote Originally Posted by CPT Shortcut
    Aquarium plants might work.

    If you want weeds hanging off of your models perhaps dip some thread or yarn in glue and then drape it over them. Paint it when it dries.
    I don't know about the aquarium plants, I just can't see how it will fit unless it is some really small stuff. Anyway I hope you mean plastic plants, cause real plants would be a real pain in the rear when it starts molding and decomposing.
    About the thread, that might to the same trick as the gauss, although it will make smaller more compact areas, but that will proparbly work great.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

    HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts