Swampy / Marshy plants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swampy / Marshy plants

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anybody out there could offer some advise as to how to paint /model swampy / marshy plants onto a model.

Let me clarify. I recently saw a collection of pictures of Necrons that were given a "swampy" look and looked as if there were swampy weeds hanging off of them. I was hoping on mimicking the look for a WARMACHINE ARMY that I am putting together.

I want them to look as if they have been sitting at the bottom of a swamp and that when activiated again, they have risen up... ready to fight.

I have looked at several different ideas as how to do it and have yet to come up with one I like.

In case there is any doubt, here is the link to the Necron page so that you can see the idea I want to do.

http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/terror...ack_lagoon.php

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

"The pleasure of satisfying a savage instinct, undomesticated by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct. The reason is becoming the enemy that prevents us from a lot of possibilities of pleasure" S. Freud

"Sin is in... Let us begin!"
    D. Leary

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I've checked the link, great models there...

You said you want to model marshy plantstuff onto models, I've never done such a "swampy" job, but I'll imagine that trying to use old stuff from first aid kits would work.
    In firstaid kits you'll usually have rolls with meters of medical gauss(Not sure about the name for it).
    If you try snipping a piece off and then try pulling that apart I think you should get a material that look just like swamp sediments when it's correctly painted.
    Try thinking of using camo netting, just pull it slightly apart and maybe fold it a time or two to give the right "thickness" of it...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayero
    Ok I've checked the link, great models there...

You said you want to model marshy plantstuff onto models, I've never done such a "swampy" job, but I'll imagine that trying to use old stuff from first aid kits would work.
    In firstaid kits you'll usually have rolls with meters of medical gauss(Not sure about the name for it).
    If you try snipping a piece off and then try pulling that apart I think you should get a material that look just like swamp sediments when it's correctly painted.
    Try thinking of using camo netting, just pull it slightly apart and maybe fold it a time or two to give the right "thickness" of it...

Thanks for the idea... I had not thought of that but I bet it would work well. I'll have to give it a try.
    "The pleasure of satisfying a savage instinct, undomesticated by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct. The reason is becoming the enemy that prevents us from a lot of possibilities of pleasure" S. Freud

"Sin is in... Let us begin!"
    D. Leary

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You go ahead with that...

It's the only way I can think of making the swampy grass/plants realistic...
    Combine it with an appropritae paint scheme and it will look great...

HEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aquarium plants might work.

If you want weeds hanging off of your models perhaps dip some thread or yarn in glue and then drape it over them. Paint it when it dries.
    My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could always ask marco how he did it, seeing as it's his bases you want to replicate. his e-mail address is chtorrr@hivefleetmoloch.de, and he's always happy to answer questions (believe me, i've asked many...), though he may take a while to reply.
    if you are reading this signature, then you are wasting you're time, and i am wasting my time by writing it, so run along now, jimmy, run along.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankendoodle65
    you could always ask marco how he did it, seeing as it's his bases you want to replicate. his e-mail address is chtorrr@hivefleetmoloch.de, and he's always happy to answer questions (believe me, i've asked many...), though he may take a while to reply.
    Great help with the e-mail there, thanks on behalf of the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Shortcut
    Aquarium plants might work.

If you want weeds hanging off of your models perhaps dip some thread or yarn in glue and then drape it over them. Paint it when it dries.
    I don't know about the aquarium plants, I just can't see how it will fit unless it is some really small stuff. Anyway I hope you mean plastic plants, cause real plants would be a real pain in the rear when it starts molding and decomposing.
    About the thread, that might to the same trick as the gauss, although it will make smaller more compact areas, but that will proparbly work great.

HEY!

+ Reply to Thread