Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Chapter would you use to sell a SM force

1K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  white_consulate 
#1 ·
Hi, here's my first real post. I've been lurking around for a while enjoying all the discussions and pix, but have run into a roadblock. A bit about my predicament. I generally paint on commission, but have started to assemble a few forces to sell as blocks.
I am sitting in front of about .66 of a company worth of marines trying to get going. I can't decide whether I should just suck it up and paint them in the 'smurf' style so they'll sell, or whether I should do something that might be a bit more fun and less seen (a chapter w/o their own codex) so someone who is looking for something a bit more exciting than our boys in blue might be attracted and willing to fork over some $$$ for a well put together unit.

I was thinking about the following (in no particular order)
1; Red Hunters
2; Sons of Medusa
3; Doom Warriors
4; Skull Bearers
5; Imperial Harbingers
6; Relictors
7; War Bearers
8; Imperial Hawks

The unit pix are available on GWs website http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/painting/sm_gallery/1.htm
if you don't know what they look like.

I'm not really interested in making up my own chapter, as these won't be staying with me.
thanks for any feedback you all might have. Any other outside suggestions would be appreciated too :yes:

See less See more
#27 ·
That's certainly an option, but then you'd miss out on any chapter-specific part they are likely to get (a la Black Templars). You could paint up 30+ troopers and wait to make sergeants and characters until the codex arrives though :)

artificer: You haven't considered making them renegades? An Astral Claws army led by a converted Lufgt Huron would be pretty cool, and wouldn't need any bits other than loyalist marines since they went renegade during the last millennia.
It's more of a risk compared to doing a loyalist chapter but it might sell well anyway, the renegade market probably isn't as saturated as the loyalist one :)

#28 ·
Tubal said:
That's certainly an option, but then you'd miss out on any chapter-specific part they are likely to get (a la Black Templars). You could paint up 30+ troopers and wait to make sergeants and characters until the codex arrives though :)

artificer: You haven't considered making them renegades? An Astral Claws army led by a converted Lufgt Huron would be pretty cool, and wouldn't need any bits other than loyalist marines since they went renegade during the last millennia.
It's more of a risk compared to doing a loyalist chapter but it might sell well anyway, the renegade market probably isn't as saturated as the loyalist one :)
Tubal, you've hit the nail right on the head re: a chapter w/ their own codex.
I'd hate to do a butt-load of work only to find out that they are not in line with the 'just released' codex.
A guy I know did just that with the BT, built a really nice force before the last army list came out
and got stuck with a LOT of stuff that wouldn't work any more.

It would be sweet to do some renegades, but I don't think I'd do this many. I'd probably roll out a squad or two with and HQ and see how they did before I painted up what is currently starting to look like nearly a whole Comp.

#29 · (Edited)
My $0.02

Doom Eagles

PROS: Easy to paint with metallic scheme, vanilla chapter so flexable, it would be a rare and original chapter, whoever buys them would be able to paint up more marines if they desire to do since the scheme and style to paint them is easy (metallic with black ink).

CONS: The new marines all have special figures and rules and such that are pretty sweet.

I wouldn't choose red scorpions because FW is going to release a vast amount of new shoulder pads and marines for that chapter and it sounds like you have a lot of marines already.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31507

So there, you are now richer :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.