Librarium Online Forums banner

Nurgle Terminator Lord [PIC HEAVY]

5K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  shango 
#1 ·
This is one of my latest figures. I will probably use him in my 40k Nurgle army (haven't fully decided yet). I talked a bit about how he was painted in the painting contest above - but to recap here are the paint summeries:

The armor was painted by starting with a cayman green basecoat, this was given a brown ink wash. At this point I started striation lines by first going with cayman green, then camo green, camo green/dead flesh, and finally dead flesh.

Gold started with brassy brass, followed by a brown ink wash, then the darker gold, followed by a purple ink glaze, and finally highlights were picked out with the lighter gold.

Flesh spikes are pale flesh, a mix of purple and flesh ink wash, highlighted with pale flesh and a light grey, and finally small veins were painted on with purple ink.

Here are several more views and close ups of various parts of the model. I took him to Games Day LA but unfortunately he didn't place. Nothing humbles you more than Games Day! :)

As per usual - comments, suggestions, critiques, etc. always welcome. I look forward to hearing from you. Here are the pics:

Cheers,

-Mike

See less See more
#6 ·
The old static looking metal chaos terminators are perfect for this kind of slow rotting zombie style terminator, i've seen deathguard terminators made out of the new plastic terminators and they're way to animated. I like the static look you've gone for.

Its beautifully painted, but i can see why it didn't place at GD, because it lacks that creative spin. That ingenius conversion or effect that drops your jaw on the floor. But like i said its beautifully painted.

#7 ·
Gareth said:
The old static looking metal chaos terminators are perfect for this kind of slow rotting zombie style terminator, i've seen deathguard terminators made out of the new plastic terminators and they're way to animated. I like the static look you've gone for.

Its beautifully painted, but i can see why it didn't place at GD, because it lacks that creative spin. That ingenius conversion or effect that drops your jaw on the floor. But like i said its beautifully painted.
I don't like the new termies for some reasons, I always look at Terminators as resting before they began to fight, in continuous action.

Anys, I like the armor texture the most, that by far looked the hardest and most taxing of paint jobs. the streaks look awesome.

#8 ·
Gareth said:
Yeah there are probably several reasons it didn't place at Games Day. While I think there are areas of the figure where I believe I have painted my best the overall figure falls very flat - especially compared to some of the other competition. It probably didn't help that I put him together about 2 weeks ago and painted him up last week. I had too many other things going on and I kept pushing him further and further behind. My fault really.

Capt. Phil said:
he truly looks like a nurgle lord...what are those things on his back?
like how u did his back
The fleshy tubes were made with greenstuff. I pre-drilled holes along where the trophy racks would go and inserted paperclip pins. Then I rolled some green stuff out into a fairly thin "snake". I then cut off small links of it and inserted them onto the pins. Finally with the sculpting tool I shaped the topes into "openings" and added small holes, etc. I then pressed the arms into place to make sure they would fit properly.

The is the first time I tried this - it didn't go quite as planned. If I were to do it again I would probably do less of them and vary the length.

Thanks again for the comments. Keep 'em coming! :)

#10 ·
Kills said:
I like it except that you painted some parts RED! I'd like if it had a more rotten look or something.. but not red. :(
Eh - not quite following you on this one. I am guessing that you just don't like the color red? What specifically were you addressing when you talk of having more of a rotten look - the red areas - the model as a whole?

It would definitely be more helpful if you were more specific. Speficically what would you suggest as far as making something look more rotten?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

-Mike

#13 ·
I like it a lot Mike! I especially like the glaze over the nurgling on the base, very purulent and disgusting! I'm not really sure what the red thing on his face is (is it rotting flesh, the hide of an enemy, etc?), but regardless it's awesome. Good use of contrasting colors. Your metal work is also quite nice.

I wish that I could offer more constructive criticsm, but really there is nothing that glares at me. I also wanted to mention that your green color looks awesome; very streaky and rotten-looking.

Excellent as always

#14 ·
RJSuperfreaky said:
I like it a lot Mike! I especially like the glaze over the nurgling on the base, very purulent and disgusting! I'm not really sure what the red thing on his face is (is it rotting flesh, the hide of an enemy, etc?), but regardless it's awesome. Good use of contrasting colors. Your metal work is also quite nice.
It's a cloth on his face. The big reason why I chose red is that it goes with the color scheme of some of my guys.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,

-Mike

#19 ·
slorak said:
Eh - not quite following you on this one. I am guessing that you just don't like the color red? What specifically were you addressing when you talk of having more of a rotten look - the red areas - the model as a whole?

It would definitely be more helpful if you were more specific. Speficically what would you suggest as far as making something look more rotten?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

-Mike
Sorry for not being specific (thought I was). I meant the face when I was talking about more rotten look. The red on the gun and so on looks pretty good but maybe would look better in another look when using my eyes. Lovely model overall.

#20 ·
Kills said:
Sorry for not being specific (thought I was). I meant the face when I was talking about more rotten look. The red on the gun and so on looks pretty good but maybe would look better in another look when using my eyes. Lovely model overall.
It's all good. Wasn't really going for a rotten look for the skin but more of a pale unhealthy palor. Also there isn't much skin showing to begin with. What would you have suggested for a more rotten look. I ask because I would really like to know. never know what might happen with future projects and I am always up for learning how other people do things.

As for the red on the weapons - can't really help you there. It has been part of my particular armies colors so it is going to stay. I am sure it would look good in a variety of other colors! ;)

Thanks for looking at the model and a big thanks for your observations.

Cheers,

-Mike

#22 ·
I like the look of the nurgling on the base. Looks like he is covered in boogers or some even more disgusting bodily fluid, (maybe some EC got to him?) Gross!

The red on the terminator seems kind of flat compared to the rest of the armor....needs more highlights?

Still an awesome model. Wish I could paint that well.

Cheers, I'm gonna go have a Guiness in your honor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.