Shading - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shading

I sure like the way shading looks. Now I am not wanting anything TOO dramatic, but I don't really get the technique. I have tried on my first 4 minis, four things.

1. GW green ink, not watered down, slathered all over. BAD idea.

2 GW grren ink, watered to f__k. slathered all over. didn't get evenly in the cracks.

3. GW ink, watered down, painted into the cracked slowly and only into the cracks. still ran out, not even coverage.

4. Mixed water with a darker green than my base coat. Slathered all over. THe best for sure, but not dramatic ENOUGH. And not all crevises held some.

Ok, so how do you guys shade, were any of my ideas on the right track? Or should I be trying a different approach.

FYI, I am basing my guys goblin green.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

One thing you could do is (if available) mix your ink with a bit of Future Floor Wax or other floor wax and with water. This should help cut the surface tension and help the ink disperse a lot smoother. You will get less of a puddling effect.

Ink really isn't the perfect answer to shading on its own. Usually you need to go back and re-paint some of the area.

Also ink has the nasty tendancy to be much shinier than the area around it. To counter act this I would suggest a flat varnish - such as testor's dullcote (man they should pay me to advertise!)

Just a few thoughts!!!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use soap in your watered down inks, it really breaks the surface tension. this way you can let run it into the cracks.

Or if you use a bit PVA glue it gets an more even coat because it gives you an higher surface tension.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by dicegod
    use soap
    ...or a dishawashing liquid - does the same thing. Not too much though - put some on a brush and mix the water in your pot. The best shading however will requier several light coats probably, or blending - no easy way out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    One thing you could do is (if available) mix your ink with a bit of Future Floor Wax or other floor wax and with water. This should help cut the surface tension and help the ink disperse a lot smoother. You will get less of a puddling effect.

Ink really isn't the perfect answer to shading on its own. Usually you need to go back and re-paint some of the area.

Also ink has the nasty tendancy to be much shinier than the area around it. To counter act this I would suggest a flat varnish - such as testor's dullcote (man they should pay me to advertise!)

Just a few thoughts!!!

Cheers,

-Mike
    How much FFW do you put into your water? I'm still playing around with it and trying to decide what ratio I really like. It usually behaves fairly well so I don't know how much it really matters, but I like to hear what other people are doing.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dole
    How much FFW do you put into your water? I'm still playing around with it and trying to decide what ratio I really like. It usually behaves fairly well so I don't know how much it really matters, but I like to hear what other people are doing.
    I use a mixture in a dropper bottle that is 40% water, 40% future floor wax, and 20% liquitex extender. I found this on a mini painter news group and have been using it for a few years. Seems to work pretty good. If you want the paint to stay wet a bit longer you can increase the extender - though it says not to put too much in otherwise the paint won't dry properly.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread