Big Bug-a-nid - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Bug-a-nid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Bug-a-nid

Gentlemen; Behold!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...aust/Tyranids/

Painted to a table-top standard, but in much more detail and effort than the lesser bugs of Hive Fleet Stanley. Peons get simply red spray, straight bone, and straight orange. Bigger ones get some shading on the orange and some yellow, biggest are like this 'fex here.

Watcha guys think? I call him "Scuttle-Basher" after the configuration I got from GW.

[Table 1-1: Signature] D6: 1 (nothing) 2 (quote) 3 (image) 4 (WLD record: relevant game [table 1-2]) 5 (internet meme) 6 (Critical Sig: roll 2 more times)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

I like it, was it a concious decision to paint it like a crab? Or a mere coincidence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

That looks pretty good but could I maybe make a suggestion???
    I reckon you need a bit more depth to the bone on the fex. Things like scything talons and such. I have found in the past that starting with a fairly dark base like scorched brown or something similar works, using many very watered down highlights in a streaky sorta bone pattern down the blade/claw/hoof.
    Maybe on your orange, you could do with a darker shadow in the gaps. One of the browns would probably work very well. Just to get the difference when you look to the main colour.
    Hope that can help
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did indeed start with Beasty Brown, and mixed and streaked my way up to bleached bone.... I just cannot get the technique to work, ever.

As for the shading, i mgiht go back a work on the definition.

As for the crab remark: it was coinicdence: I chose the scheme for the colour, and the Crushing Claws for the effect.
    [Table 1-1: Signature] D6: 1 (nothing) 2 (quote) 3 (image) 4 (WLD record: relevant game [table 1-2]) 5 (internet meme) 6 (Critical Sig: roll 2 more times)

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

VERY cool! That's one scary bug.

What is your hive fleet called? Do you have your own or use an existing name?

I'd love to see that colour scheme carried out on a LOT of bugs. It's very original (in a GOOD way):yes:
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

I did indeed start with Beasty Brown, and mixed and streaked my way up to bleached bone.... I just cannot get the technique to work, ever.
    Maybe it would be best to leave a bit more of the brown in there? I work from scorched brown - snakebite leather - khaki - bleached bone - skull white (only one shade in there lighter than the bone, just for a tiny bit more contrast)

Leave planty of the under colour in there and try not to drown it out. Hope that helps its a bit hard without seeing what your doing.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by feuer_faust
    Gentlemen; Behold!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...aust/Tyranids/

Painted to a table-top standard, but in much more detail and effort than the lesser bugs of Hive Fleet Stanley. Peons get simply red spray, straight bone, and straight orange. Bigger ones get some shading on the orange and some yellow, biggest are like this 'fex here.

Watcha guys think? I call him "Scuttle-Basher" after the configuration I got from GW.

DUDE NICE, only I think the base would loke better if dun an other collur. but still wow nice.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    VERY cool! That's one scary bug.

What is your hive fleet called? Do you have your own or use an existing name?

I'd love to see that colour scheme carried out on a LOT of bugs. It's very original (in a GOOD way):yes:
    Painted to a table-top standard, but in much more detail and effort than the lesser bugs of Hive Fleet Stanley.
    Hive Fleet Stanley.

Maybe it would be best to leave a bit more of the brown in there? I work from scorched brown - snakebite leather - khaki - bleached bone - skull white (only one shade in there lighter than the bone, just for a tiny bit more contrast)

Leave planty of the under colour in there and try not to drown it out. Hope that helps its a bit hard without seeing what your doing.
    Well, I still have a Hive Tyrant to go, so I'll give it another go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by feuer_faust
    Hive Fleet Stanley.

Well, I still have a Hive Tyrant to go, so I'll give it another go.
    post pics when you're dun
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

+ Reply to Thread