Painting Flesh - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Flesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Flesh

I searched but could not find a suitable answer, so here goes.
    When painting flesh colours, do you flesh wash first, last or both? Just looking for a little help with this topic, I have been painting undead for sometime and this is my first attempt at any sort of "human" flesh colour.

Thanks in Advance,
    Manakari

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are SO many ways to paint flesh man... my suggestion is go on google and look for warhammer forums. There is bound to be the answer your searching for. I persoanlly havent painted my empire guys in like 6 months and so would need refreshing on it aswel.
    What you are we once were. What we are you will become!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It really depends on what kind of skin tone you are looking for as to what shading you will do. You definitely would not do the flesh wash first as the flesh ink would not cover black at all and would be very pale against a white primed figure.

Flesh wash is good for a fair skin. Basically I would base in an elf flesh, maybe dwarf flesh, do the flesh ink wash and then build up the highlights through pale flesh.

If you are going for a darker skintone you might want to replace the flesh with a brown ink wash.

If you were going for an unhealthy palor you may consider a purple, or I have found a purple/flesh mixed ink wash. Maybe even a little red around the eyes. Green would work well too.

You can tint with a variety of different colors to create some very interesting effects.

Hope this sparks some ideas for you.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I like to use a tanned flesh base coat and then work up through dwarf flesh to a final highlight of dwarf/elf flesh mixed. Maybe elf on it's own if it's a pale miniature. For darker more tanned/weather beaten skin I use a mix of dwarf/scorched brown for the base coat and will often use a wash of thinned scorched brown at the end.

I'll try and get some different flesh tone photos to show some different results.

And- just as a note- I'd take your pot of Flesh Wash (if you have one) and leave it on a railway track. I hate the stuff and can't think of any use for a wash that turns skin dark brown and shiny. Bleh!!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint monkey
    And- just as a note- I'd take your pot of Flesh Wash (if you have one) and leave it on a railway track. I hate the stuff and can't think of any use for a wash that turns skin dark brown and shiny. Bleh!!
    That is what the dullcote is for.

Seriously though - Flesh wash or any of the inks if used sparingly and usually "really" thinned out can produce some very interesting effects that are very hard to duplicate with paint alone.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

In my experience, Flesh Wash goes well over any kind of Brown, so a number of trousers, coats ropes and wooden structures get it (and over Goblin Green it results in an olive tone, but that's another story)
    though I must admit i seldom use it for actually skin painting. And maybe Chestnut Ink might yield the same results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally base the face in bleached bone and then give it a wash with chestnut ink. It really brings out the crevices and shadows in the face. Of course, it is only a guide to painting the rest, but it will do if you are rushed for time.

I then use thin layers of bleached bone to work up to the highlights, and selectively put on a VERY thin bit of red ink to put some colour in cheeks and around lips.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

im always varying how i paint flesh, but a usual process for me for a standard flesh tone is:

basecoat of snakebite leather, then dwarf flesh, leaving the brown where you want the extreme shadows (such as eye sockets, then bronzed flesh, then elf flesh, using progressivly less of the lighter colour to build up details such as shadowing, wrinkles etc

its a fairly quick way of getting highlighted skin- if your going for a golden demon im sure there are better ways but it looks good on a tabletop quality mini

here is how it looks in practice: http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...hp?i=3433&c=41

as you can see they arent finished- have to go back and do the eyes (black followed by white dots) but hopefully you get the idea of how the above process looks!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Well ways to do flesh can vary in the extreme, some above examples or more than good for humanesque flesh tones. You will find the usualk colours used in the painting are; Dwarf Flesh, Elf Flesh, Skull White, Tanned Flesh, Dark Flesh, Bleached Bone, Bronzed Flesh. There are many examples and different ways of using these and we could all link you to probably a dozen sites each with a different way. Overall it all comes to combining the paints and such in different ways to get different finishes.

For my dwarves I have been doing my flesh like so; Tanned Flesh basecoat, the first highlight is then dwarf flesh mixed into it. I continue to add dwarf flesh until you get almost pure dwarf flesh then I add elf flesh, my final highlights are usually bleached bone mixed into the current look.

I saw you asked about flesh wash, you'll find many more experienced painters steer away from inks. But then washes of darker colours can do their job and better in many cases. In any case inks are usually applied after the base coat.

KU

+ Reply to Thread