Basing The Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well since it started out as a dicussion in a gallery I thought it should have it's own forum.
    Maybe it doesn't belong here, but it's the best place I found.

What do the different people do when they make a good base for a model.

For me it's a classic starting point(for me at least).
    I start by basing the model with modelling gravel, not the finest type but a type with grains about 0.5mm large. This is sometimes enough but I prefer gravel with some larger stones in it, when I use static grass it tends make it more pointing, it doesn't lay flat out.
    Then I have already said what I do, I almost always further up the base with static grass.
    The gravel is ofcourse black, and highlighted with grey.

Anyone else wanna post their own ways?

check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use mixed size sand, large grain and small. I paint the sand scorched brown, then hit it with a drybrush of Fortress Grey, then a highlight drybrush of Fortres Grey and Bleached Bone, and lastly a light drybrush of Bleached Bone. I then glue on static grass, when you leave some of the larger pieces of sand sticking out of the grass it can look very cool. Overall my bases look like scorched and battle worn earth with a little bit of grass struggling to grow...
    --Keep Disco Evil--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use mixed sand painted with scorched brown, and drybrushed with bestial brown, bubonic brown, and bleached bone successively. Then add a couple patches of static grass and it's done. I used to just use static grass, but I like the sand/grass combo alot more.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah the static grass only look isn't quite good, the grass tends to just lay flat, you need some irregularities for it to sprout from

HEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use vermin brown on small stones and then dry brush over with some bleached bone, but drybrush it very lightly and then add some static grass here and there.

One question though is it very easy to paint static grass, and what colour should i use to get a dried up / dead grass look?

Ive seen on some models by GW painters that their sand models all seem to have dead looking grass on them but i dont know what colour they paint the grass or how to actually do it.

I could use any advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to stick with a dessert theme on my models to match my game board so I use fine grained sand mixed with a few larger pebble. I paint it snakebite leather and drybrush with bleached bone. Then I add either some dried up shrubs using lychen or I add some scrap metal. I want to make a cool looking show-base for my Emporer's Champion, something like a cliff with him standing at the top or maybe a battle scene with him bloody and a dead mutilated ork at his feet. But do you think I should use the new model of the EC or the old one?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The battlescarred theme I think is best...
    As someone said earlier they base the model with model gravel...
    I usually paint it black and then highlight it with grey...
    But someone said they try to give it first a colour of scorched brown and then highlight slightly out of that...
    I tried some new painting scemes yesterday... and I kinda think that idea there with scorched brown gives an exellent look...

HEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still working on the painting. Gonna get to the bases later on. But right now, its just goblin green with some green flock on top. I think I'm gonna start painting the tops brown, so it looks like dirt under the grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man my minis must fight over a golf course, nice and green. I think it's Inquisitor Gomez who has based a few of his minis on the bases of the trees that you get with the boxed set, They look pretty schweet.

Closed Thread