desert terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: desert terrain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

desert terrain

I need help, and i have no ideas on how to build the terrain for my board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifritthehellhound
    I need help, and i have no ideas on how to build the terrain for my board
    If you want to make terrain you need a foam cutter. You do not have to have one to make terrain but it will certainly make it easier.

All you have to do is cut hill shapes out of foam and put flock on them. then paint it in different shades of brown. An oasis would also be cool but i don't know how to do that exactly

hope it helps
    zeke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

well, you'll need dunes. So maybe you can get pieces of foam or polistyrene blocks, use a hot wire tool to shape them and then cover them with sand( with some watered down pva on the base first or the sand wont stick :p). The sand you should use must be fine, very fine as the sand in the desert it, its more of a course dust :p. If you need pics for inspiratioon, you can e-mail me... I live in the middle east, there is no shortage of desert :p.

e-mail: dodge.shark@gmail.com

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

stacks are always good in desert terrain as well (theyre the desert equivalent of trees, in game terms). to make these all you do is snap some polystyrene stick it on a kebab skewer. then use a hot wire cutter to shape them, cover these with watered down wall filler (ive found that its best) and whilst thats still wet sprinkle sand over it. then paint in a sand colour.

a Wadi works well too basically its a dried up river bed so a bit of foliage in the bottom with sand a couple of potholes take some dried up twigs, stick these on a base then you have a group of dead trees to add to the banks.

canyons are always good for a part of the battle field.
    take some 50-100mm thick sheets of polystyrene cut them with the hot wire cutter smooth these down on the edges cover in sand in the same way as the stacks and paint in the same way.
    WARMASTER of the SCHOLA PROGENIUM Alnwick Chapter (soon to be the world)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best way to do stacks for the sake of building them is not to break them:

note: i made the terrain in the above picture, but the table its on is a modular board, 2' squares from www.battlescapes.com and i made the terrain before i saw the board it was to be pictured on and that terrain was mailed to battlescapes, and he allready had the table made. (it just means i matched what he had without seeing it in person)

dunes would be just your sloped hills
    sand to get a fine looking sand, just buy a gallon of Masonry Paint, it has sand added and is a good basecoat for foam so spray paints on eat it.
    here is some desert styled terrain i have made for a friend and some that was sold.

these bottom 3 pics, the sand was with a spray paint called "fleck coate"

Steve
    Last edited by Orcdom; May 8th, 2006 at 03:58.

+ Reply to Thread