8x4' Wooded/Desert Board WIP [pics] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

8x4' Wooded/Desert Board WIP [pics]

Some pics of an 8x4' board I'm working on... I hope for it to be half fields/wooded with a pine forest and greek-looking ruins (I play High Elves and Tau), the other half desert. I've also got ideas for a coal mine that will go on the raised end and have a dirt path to some wooden docks on the river that will be 3 or 4x wider than it is now.... comments appreciated :w00t:

Oh, and this will have lots of hills and other obstacles besides woods, I'm just not there yet >_>'

original design with mountains or something at one end

mostly final design with cliff on side, and bridge over river

..Yes, my legos over there :shifty:

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Hello
    I would suggest a quarry instead of a mine, all limestone looking. If it is all one board that you are going to use in games then I'd suggest making it desert like with a big oasis and thae river be a dry one (Wadi). If it is two seperate boards, it sounds great. It all sounds great!

I wish you luck on making your board. If you need help and ideas on the whole desert theme, give me a shout. I even have piccis and stuff seeing as I live in the middle-east.

Again, good luck.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Very nice start, keep some WIP pics coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you decide to go with a quarry then here is an easy way:

on my table we layered the foam, just slice about 1" back and take out a 1" by 1" row and step it down, if you do the 2" it might not look right for fantasy, and i like the 1" steps and my table will be strictly 40K.

but to get the core drilled/blasted look after we cut the steps we took a small torch and clipped a length of wire coat hanger about 10 " long ans stuck them in some vice grips.
    heated the wire with the torch and just layed it against the foam and burnt the drill marks.

and good to see you got the thread started.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Thanks for the advice -- I'm thinking something a little different for the mine/quarry thing, realistic or not I don't know, but it'll be cool. I hope.

Unfrotunately I'll be in DC for the remainder of this week and unable to work on the board next week, so some new pics could be a while off... I started making the bridge from balsa wood pieces I cut to look like roughly-cut boards.

New pics as soon as possible ^.^
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you think you would need a crapload of water effects bottles to do a full-sized river?
    3500 points Blood Pact
    1000 points Deathwatch
    3000 points Dwarfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the water effects, the GW stuff i have heard is crap. but like for my full sized river on my game table i am thinking it will be about 60.00 worth or so of resin to do the table, and mine, 4' of the river is 6" wide and the other 4' length is 2 river sections about 3' each in a Y shape and about 4" wide with one end having a lake edge and the river is planned to eventually be about a 1/2" thick of resin. 1/4" minimum.

I have heard good reports on Yacht Poly urethene used by model railroaders, just takes time to apply it in layers.

and a couple other resins have promising effects as well.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Oops, forgot about this. Less WIP pics for you, I guess >.>'

The board is nearly done! Can't give you full-board pics yet because the stupid people who make the resin didn't include enough activator in the little bottle that comes with it for the entire thing of resin; only about half of it. Furthermore, it recommends cleaning tools with lacquer thinner, and that does not work. So don't try to wash your hands or tools in lacquer thinner after using resin. Really, don't get resin on your hands at all, because it DOESNT COME OFF

Ok anyway, here's a few pics of the finished sections...

A section of the river that's finished... really like the way the long marshy-grass sticking out of it looked. Resin is a bit more unclear than I anticipated, but still looks fine.

On the desert half, a destroyed bridge. I think. Or maybe some wood scraps. It looks cool :sleep:

Oh what have we here, some weird ringwraith witch hunters on a bridge... yeah, that bridge is going to be amazing when it's painted. Just you wait.

Oh yeah, if you look at one of my previous posts you see the board all layed out and unpainted, with the bridge thing... I don't know what to do with that. I've thought about making a larger and more expansive bridge system... ideas?
    Last edited by The Salmon Thief; June 23rd, 2006 at 05:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cant wait to see the finished table, here is ours after we finished it:

the resin we used is called (Something) Elegance, cant rem the exact name, it was a 1:1 mix and we ended up with over 150.00 worth on our table, but it was well worth it with the effects we got out of it.
    like this:

i like how yours turned out like a dark Brackish (where freshwater meets saltwater) water.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

It will look silly next to yours, nice job :yes:

Here's a view form the front of the bridge (made it just wide enough for a regiment to fit through ^.^)... still no more resin, I'll probably try to get some tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast