Magnifying Lamp - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnifying Lamp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnifying Lamp

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for awhile now and despite searching I have not found much to say regarding magnifying lamps. I understand a number of people advocate jeweler's magnifiers (the headsets with a changeable magnifaction lens) but they are not to my liking. Rather, I'm looking for a magnifying lamp and I wanted to see what advice anyone can offer regarding a good magnifying lamp.

I'm looking for something that is adequate in terms of lighting and magnification not only for WH40K miniatures but smaller figures such as the 10 and 15 mm WWII miniatures I also paint. I've looked at the Ott hobby magnifier and while I like the design and lighting, the magnifier seems way too small to use for painting. Mostly, I've seen swing arm magnifiers which seem quite versatile in terms of positioning. However, I've been leaning towards this magnifier offered by MicroMark http://www.micromark.com/prodimgs/80762.jpg
    as it is Halogen as opposed to fluorescent, and offers a nicely sized magnifying lens.

But, I could be totally off on this issue and omitting a much better option. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I dont think it matters what sort of magnifier you use but the bulb does. Anything but flourescent bulbs in my experience tend to heat up very fast and very hot, and are useless for painting minis when the paint is so close to the bulb, likke in the link.When doing fine detail work, the amount of paint that you use is very small, (and i assume you are doing detailed work if you want a magnifying lamp) so it dries up even faster than usual, and causes more problems than it solves. Flourescent bulbs by the way do not heat up, but still give the same quality of light as a halogen. Other than that it doesnt matter, just pick what suits you best. Hope this helps,

Dan
    Think this is good? Rep me and click the star
    <<<<

"You dont start learning until you're stuck or acknowledge your mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a point - I don't use a magnifyer, but I do have a 40 odd watt halogen bulb on a flexible arm - paint dries *much* faster when I;m using the bugger, I'd go for fluro if I were you.

coz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

manifyers are hard to use the miniature does obviously look bigger but so does the brush,so its pointless and they distort things i used one for about 2 miniutes.and threw it out.
    what you need is a good daylight bulb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point regarding the temperature of Halogen. My concern was lighting quality. I do automotive detailing and trying to do any fine detail polishing is very difficult with fluorescent lighting, so I opt for Halogen. That's why the Ott has been my preference for awhile as it is closer to natural light than either. As far as the efficacy of using a magnifier, it's all preference but I find them useful for fine detail work, especially considering GW miniatures are on the large end of miniatures for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

The guy above is correct, i tried using a magnifying glass and it is clunk and useless. It distorts things and it does make the brush larger. Save your self the money and just spring for a nice lamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, like I said, it really is preference in my opinion and it also matters what kind of lens you are using. I'm not looking for a cheap solution and I know most of these kinds of products are simply poor in the optics department. With that said, I was looking for advice from anyone in regards to lighting (dayight, ott ,etc.) and actual products that combine that well with a magnifier. I appreciate the help anyways.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I have an ott light that has a flip out magnifier in it. I am less than impressed with it overall. the lighting is good but the magnification is a hassle. I have to have the lamp sideways and since I am left handed the body of the light is in my way.

I am interested in getting a lamp similar to the one you pictured. So any imput from others is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'm looking for one of those too. My fine detail work would benefit i'm sure, and sepecially the rigging on my ship mini's kill my eyes after half an hour. I can't find anything, not even a decent desk lamp. I have a system in my room whereby for normal times I use a 40 watt bulb with a nice shade, when I'm painting I swap it for a naked 100 watt. It works, but I would prefer a decent magifier lamp.

So yeh, if antone has suggestions, it would be nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

+ Reply to Thread