Removing Glue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing Glue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Glue

I recently traded for some models and when they arrived I realized that:

A) I didn't like the paint job

and

They were poorly put together.

I can take care of A with some Simple Green. However, I'd really like to take apart both the plastic and metal models (necrons) and put them back together again. In some cases this will even make painting a bit easier. Is there something I can soak the models in to loosen the glue?

I'm especially interested in doing this to the metal models. It seems that some of the wraiths have been put together several times and there is a a lot of glue build up where the pieces join. So much so that some of the models that came apart in shipping are almost impossible to put back together.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

If it was just superglue, you can soak the Metal minis in Acetone (nail polish remover) and that will soften the glue bonds. For the plastic minis, you'll have to break/cut the joints apart. You can throw them in the freezer for a few hours, that will make the superglue more brittle and weaker than the plastic.

If they used plastic glue, you'll have to start cutting. Plastic glue actually melts the plastic parts together.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Yeah, you can't undo plastic 'cos the glue melts the two together.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

You can also get a glue remover. I have found that usually at hobby shops that sell a variety of CA glue also sell specially formulated removers for it as well. Never tried the stuff but that is an option. Though I don't know what effect it would have on the plastics glued to the metal.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

I've used the glue remover to varying success. Sometimes it makes the glue brittle enough that you can pop the joins and scrape off the glue, other times it's burned the plastic (not badly, similar to that frost effect you sometimes get from superglue) and done nothing to the glue.

It probably depends on the make of glue and remover.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Sorry PC was messing me about. Please can a mod delete unless I edit it into something useful
    Last edited by PaRaSiTe_X92; May 23rd, 2006 at 20:44. Reason: PC Messing Me About

Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I fine with a pair of clippers and pliars I can pop mini's appart at glue joints if the person who put them togeather didnt use to much glue, or primmered the pieces and then glue them togeather later.

If they did use too much, nail polish for super-glue or the exacto knife for plastic glue.

It sounds like he did use to much, but if the paint job is horriable and your going to repaint them, maybe use a file to remove the excess glue from the Mini? Also if he reglued them sevral times then perhaps the bond is between paint and not metal/plastic so it will be easier to dislocate.

As for the ones damaged in shipping that seem to be broken, um maybe use wire to reconect them, and then cover up the jimmy rigging with green stuff and make it look like extra armor or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Great tips immortal.
    I especially like the wire/green stuff idea; I've never thought of that lol

+ Reply to Thread