painting metal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: painting metal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painting metal

I want to take my painting skills to a higher level and thought that my metal painting could be greatly improved.

So how can I effectively paint metal(swords, bolters) while not using the drybrush technique.

DonĀ“t mess with the dicegod

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

First start to raising your painting level would be to do away with drybrushing. Use a layering technique instead. For metalics I have found you can really set the overall tone of the figure by tinting the metal.

Basically take your base metal color (usually the darkest color you are going to use). You can apply some watered down black ink if you want to have the added definition to it. Then re apply the base color (if you inked it) leaving the black in the recesses. Next take a very watered down ink wash for the desired color you are looking for. If you want a cold metal look - green, blue, or purple will create a cool look to your figures. Make sure the ink is heavily watered down. You just want a hint of the color and don't want it to over power the metal. Sometimes you need to apply several coats of the ink wash. For warm metals I would probaby suggest an orange ink.

Next take your lighter metallic color (for example chainmail or even silver) and add some highlights to the top areas of the figure. If it stands out too much re-apply some of the ink wash especially where the two metallic colors come together and it should soften the transition.

Cheers,

-mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply.
    DonĀ“t mess with the dicegod

+ Reply to Thread