White Dwarf comes to life...muhahaha - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

White Dwarf comes to life...muhahaha

After exams i felt it was just relaxing to paint up a mini...a white dwarf given free by GW when purchased their mag (*dreams of the days when GW gave minis out for free*)

Anyway, ive hopefully resurected him from the dead...hope you like him
    (*** the base isnt finished***)

NOTE: this is my first ever attempt on NMM gold and silver....comments on how to improve this technique is welcome.

Note also the eyes are painted - they look very very evil IMO
    I have no idea what in suppose to be in his helmet (someone could tell me?) but i thought it was beer - so beer i painted..

Last edited by whiteshields1830; May 24th, 2006 at 08:16.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

It looks ok, although the shading on the beard is too sharp. To go from a dark grey to white is rather unrealistic and doesn't particually work well, you whould have been better going from a lighter grey for shading. The face too, it is too dark. The shading is almost black, I would have used a lighter flesh tone - say Dark Flesh or Tannned Flesh - and highlighted up from there with elf flesh as the final highlight.

I'm no expert on NMM, only attempted it once, but your silver look too blue and dark. NMM is all about knowing where the light is coming from, so the way you have highlighted I would say the base of the head would be almost black and the blades edge should be the lightest - white with lighter to darker greys going towards the base. The gold is too yellow, to me it looks rather likg pure yellow with hints of brown and white.

Not bad but it just needs a bit of work I feel, NMM comes with practice and smooth blending. Otherwise I would suggest you make your shading less severe, ideally they should only be a few tones darker than the base colour.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

^^^
    hmm,,,ill take on that advice from you KU...after all i strive to be you standard (as well as Gareth and Undeadair)....

I understand you about the extreme highlighting of the beard, i should tone it down. The face, IMO seems dark is maybe of the photo/lighting , as the whole face had a basecoat of beastial brown (it doesnt show in the photo - looks like black)

About the NMM thing, i strive to improve on that technique as it looks awesome, and worth its efforts. However, not sure about the blue thing (the dark grey was a mix of codex grey + black)...but yea, i reckon i need heaps of improvement for NMM.

Not sure how to do NMM for gold as my paint pallette is VERY limited in the brown and yellow sections. The ONLY yellow i have is 'bad moon yellow' and the ONLY brown i have is beastial brown. The NMM gold there is a variety mix of bad moon yellow, beastial brown and skull white. Any suggestions on what colours to use to do NMM silver and gold?
    Last edited by whiteshields1830; May 25th, 2006 at 01:09.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the NMM on the axe. :yes:
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks very nice, but there is minimal highlighting and it looks slightly undone, the only thing that really bothers me on this model are the gems, you should highlight round the lower edges, but otherwisw I like this model alot, it is nicely painted, maybe another shade on the beard, but otherwise it looks good!
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

+ Reply to Thread