Removing Dettol/paint residue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    London, England, UK, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

5 (x1)

Removing Dettol/paint residue

I've been stripping a load of 15+ year old miniatures using Dettol as it's significantly less toxic and easy to dispose of than brake fluid.

(You do know you're supposed to take brake fluid to a hazardous waste disposal centre, and definitely not just flush it down the toilet/drain, right?)

However, even after two repetitions of soak-for-36-hours/brush-with-electric-toothbrush-and-soapy-water, there's a brownish sticky residue all over the surface and some tendrils of paint in the crevices. Does anyone have any tips for removing this residue?

I'm going to try household cleaner and an electric toothbrush over the weekend. Failing that... Maybe a Dremel with a brush attachment? I don't have one of these yet. Will this be safe on plastic (at a low speed) or will it just abrade the detail off?

Note: UK-based. Also a request: when posting trade names (e.g. of cleaning products etc.) can people please give the active ingredient, or a link to the ingredients list as above? I see this all the time, posts with brand names of products from one particular part of the world, which is little use if you're trying to find a local equivalent. Cheers :-)

Many thanks,

PS Moderators: I know there's a pinned thread but there's also a warning that it's old and dead. But I'll cross-post this there too if that is the right thing to do (excuse any whoopsies).

Last edited by operon; May 24th, 2006 at 11:29.

+ Reply to Thread