Space Wolves Painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need some help with my Space Wolves painting please. I have just started on them and have been painting shadow grey with a space wolves grey dry brush over that. The models come out looking ok but even a light dry brushing seems to give the model a "marble effect" whan you look at it up close. Also when you look at the stuff GW churn out they don't seem to have that, or in some cases not even drybrushed. Whole this method is ok for the bulk ofthe troops, the pack leaders, elites and HQ deserve something better. Can you offer me any advise for making the finishing touches look better than what they are.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The marble effect is probably caused by one of two things. Either your base coat is rough and the drybrush picks up the texture, or the paint used to drybrush is too thick or dries too quickly. Both can be solved with the same technique. Thin your paints out, add a flow enhancer, and perhaps a retarder to the drybrush paint so it doesn't dry too soon.

The best inexpensive thinning medium is a 1 part future arcylic floor wax to 3 parts water mix. Use this to thin your paints.

You can buy both acrylic flow enhancer and retarder at any store that sells acrylic art paints (such as Michaels in the US). In place of flow enhancer, you can add one drop of liquid soap to a bottle of paint, but it is not as good. I usually buy a bottle of flow enhancer and add about 20 drops undiluted to each bottle.

By the way, what brand of paints are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that I will give it a try.

I have been using citadel paints. Is there a better selection out there? :unsure:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any real problem with citadel paints, just the bottles. They're terrible. Probably the best paint around is Vallejo. I use a half dozen different brands. It all depends what I'm using them for. Craft paints are good for bases and terrain, but they are prone to the marble effect you described due to their coarse pigments They are a bit chunky and don't thin well. You should be fine with citadel, but they definitely need to be thinned. I often go as thin as adding a quarter or more thinner to the bottle based on volume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I will try thining the paints but I have been trying anew way of painting the wolves.

Primer first
    Black over the entire model
    Shadow grey then drybrushed onto the black quite heavily
    space wolf grey very softly drybrushed on to the shadow grey.

gives the armor a old dark look. I am going to find the paint thinner hopefully this week and it should look even better.

Thanks for the help. Much appricated.

Closed Thread